Posted by Michael on Tuesday, March 27, 2012 at 9:28pm.
The Regional Farm Bureau (RFB) is preparing a brochure that offers advice about constructing pens for small farm animals, and they want us to be their consultants. They need us to carefully analyze the following situations and provide a detailed report. Then they will use our information to help them write the brochure.
In the example they wish to describe, it is assumed that the farmer has 900 feet of fencing with which to erect a rectangular pen alongside a long, existing fence (so the existing fence forms one side of the pen). Suppose the pen is to be subdivided into four parts in a two-by-two arrangement by including interior fences parallel to the outside boundaries. Then what dimensions make for the largest combined area? What if the farmer subdivides into nine pens in a three-by-three arrangement? What if the farmer subdivides into n2 pens in an n-by-n arrangement?
- Calculus - MathMate, Wednesday, March 28, 2012 at 11:12am
L=length of fence available = 900 ft
For an nxn arrangement, with total dimensions x (parallel to existing fence) and y (perpendicular).
total area, A =xy
Total length of fence
For maximum area,
Solving for x,
So total Area
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Calculus - The Regional Farm Bureau (RFB) is preparing a brochure that offers ...
- Civics - "Man is the only creature that consumes without producing. He does not...
- math - A farmer has both chickens and sheep on his farm. He has a total of 25 ...
- math - The cost of ploughing a square farm is the same as ploughing another farm...
- math - In a farm the ratio of goats to cows is 3:4 if there are 420 farm animals...
- math - A farmer has $100.he has to buy 100 farm animals.He has to spend exactly...
- english - Of all of the characters in Animal Farm, are there any who seem to ...
- algbra 1 - A farm has only sheep and geese. It has a total of 58 animals and a ...
- Animal Farm - Has anyone read the book Animal Farm by George Orwell? If so, they...
- Maths - A farm rears 9 ducks and cows in his farm. There are 28 legs altogether....