Posted by Da S on Monday, March 26, 2012 at 9:32am.
Mrs Leong took 1 hour to drive 1/5 of a journey from village R to village S.she drove the remaining 180km in 4hr. A) what was Mrs Leong's speed for the first part of the journey? B) how long did she take to travel the whole journey? C) find Mrs Leong's average speed for the whole journey
- Math - Reiny, Monday, March 26, 2012 at 10:00am
let the total distance be x km
her speed for first part = (1/5)x/1 km/h = x/5 km/h
speed for second part = 180/4 = 45 mph
remaining distance = x - (1)(x/5) = 4x/5
so, 4(45) = 4x/5
180 = 4x/5
4x = 900
x = 225
the total trip was 225 km
her speed in the first part = x/5 = 225/5 = 45 km/h
the whole trip took 5 hrs
average speed for whole trip was 225/5 = 45 km/h
whole trip = 225 km
first part = 225-180 = 45 km
1/5 of 225 = 45 km, check!
speed = 45/1 = 45 km/h , check!
second part of trip = 180 km
speed = 180/4 = 45 km/h
total time = 1 + 4 = 5 hrs/, check!
average speed for whole trip = 225/5 = 45 km/h
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Math - Mr. Njinga cycled a distance of 42km from his village. On his return ...
- Math - Mr Thomas took 2hr to drive from Tokyo to Osaka.He then took another 4hr ...
- MATHS!!! - Calvin was making a trip to the University of Chicago. When he drove ...
- Math - A woman drove a distance of 100km/h, on the journey she drove 10km/h ...
- maths - 2% of the village died due to an epidemic. A panic set in, during which ...
- math - It takes Mrs. Brown exactly 3 hours and 30 minutes to drive from her home...
- math - Hannah took a trip yo visit her cousin. She drove 120 miles to reach her ...
- algebra - a woman drove a distance of 240km on the return journey she drove 20km...
- Math - Paul drove from his house to work at an average speed of 40 miles per ...
- math - Carl drove from his house to work at an average speed of 35 miles per ...