Posted by Da S on Monday, March 26, 2012 at 9:32am.
Mrs Leong took 1 hour to drive 1/5 of a journey from village R to village S.she drove the remaining 180km in 4hr. A) what was Mrs Leong's speed for the first part of the journey? B) how long did she take to travel the whole journey? C) find Mrs Leong's average speed for the whole journey
- Math - Reiny, Monday, March 26, 2012 at 10:00am
let the total distance be x km
her speed for first part = (1/5)x/1 km/h = x/5 km/h
speed for second part = 180/4 = 45 mph
remaining distance = x - (1)(x/5) = 4x/5
so, 4(45) = 4x/5
180 = 4x/5
4x = 900
x = 225
the total trip was 225 km
her speed in the first part = x/5 = 225/5 = 45 km/h
the whole trip took 5 hrs
average speed for whole trip was 225/5 = 45 km/h
whole trip = 225 km
first part = 225-180 = 45 km
1/5 of 225 = 45 km, check!
speed = 45/1 = 45 km/h , check!
second part of trip = 180 km
speed = 180/4 = 45 km/h
total time = 1 + 4 = 5 hrs/, check!
average speed for whole trip = 225/5 = 45 km/h
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Math - Mr. Njinga cycled a distance of 42km from his village. On his return ...
- Math - Mr Thomas took 2hr to drive from Tokyo to Osaka.He then took another 4hr ...
- Math - Emilio left Main Road at 8 A.M and arrived at Lame Lane at 2 P.M. His ...
- math - Ashwin and Kartik went to a resort by the coast for the weekend. Since ...
- Math - Kate cycles the first 350 km of a 470 km journey at a certain average ...
- Maths - Mrs .Smith walk 3/8 of a journey and took a taxi for a further half of ...
- English - We have a very beautiful place called Central Park. Many tourists ...
- MATHS!!! - Calvin was making a trip to the University of Chicago. When he drove ...
- Math - A woman drove a distance of 100km/h, on the journey she drove 10km/h ...
- math - It takes Mrs. Brown exactly 3 hours and 30 minutes to drive from her home...