Posted by Lisa on Sunday, March 25, 2012 at 5:37pm.
Options Menu: Forum
Topic: Interpreting the U.S. Constitution
Consider the following scenario: The Supreme Court interprets the U.S. Constitution. Thomas Jefferson once argued against the doctrine of judicial review. He believed in the principles of "checks and balances," whereas the President, Congress, and the Supreme Court have equal authority to interpret the meaning of the Constitution. It is undisputed that the Constitution is the Supreme Law of the Land.
This Constitution, and the Laws of the United States which shall be made in Pursuance thereof; and all Treaties made, or which shall be made, under the Authority of the United States, shall be the supreme Law of the Land; and the Judges in every State shall be bound thereby, any Thing in the Constitution or Laws of any State to the Contrary notwithstanding (Article VI). However, at times, the Supreme Court makes decisions that challenge Christian principles, such as its decision on abortion.
a) Should judicial review be eliminated? Provide a detailed explanation for your answer.
b) If judicial review were eliminated, what alternative means could be used to interpret the meaning of the Constitution?
- criminal justice - Ms. Sue, Sunday, March 25, 2012 at 5:39pm
Again -- how would you like Jiskha tutors to help you with this assignment?
- criminal justice - Lisa, Sunday, March 25, 2012 at 5:45pm
By ansering the questions... I've read the constitution and all my materials, but not really sure what to say. Ugh!!!
- criminal justice - Ms. Sue, Sunday, March 25, 2012 at 5:53pm
You first have to make a decision about what YOU think. Should courts be able to interpret laws and declare them wrong if the judges feel these laws go against the Constitution?
Why do you believe that?
- criminal justice - Lisa, Sunday, March 25, 2012 at 5:59pm
- criminal justice - Ms. Sue, Sunday, March 25, 2012 at 6:06pm
- criminal justice - paige, Friday, March 29, 2013 at 8:14pm
I bet you go to Liberty
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Government - A Supreme Court justice who interprets provisions of the U.S. ...
- History - Could someone explain the concept of judicial review and its impact on...
- Criminal Justice - What are the top two theorys of interpreting the constitution...
- American Government - 1. how is the supreme court equal to the other branches of...
- American Government - 1) How is the Supreme Court equal to the other branches of...
- can you explain this to me government - First decision by the Supreme Court to ...
- Political Science-PLEASE HELP - Consider the following scenario: You are a ...
- Social Studies - A-Cabinet B-Checks and Balances C-Commander in Chief D-...
- History - 4. Who Killed Alexander Hamilton in a duel in 1804? Aaron Burr? 5.Who ...
- Political Science - I need some help on this. Consider the follow scenario: You ...