Posted by Tanner on Sunday, March 25, 2012 at 3:40pm.
The solubility products of AgBr and Ag3PO4 are 5.0 10-13 and 1.8 10-18, respectively. If Ag+ is added (without changing the volume) to 1.00 L of a solution containing 0.31 mol Br ‾ and 0.31 mol PO43-, calculate the molarity of Ag+ ions required to initiate precipitation and to bring the precipitation to 99.99% completion for each anion.
(a) [Ag+] at which AgBr precipitation begins
(b) [Ag+] at which AgBr precipitation is 99.99% complete
(c) [Ag+] at which Ag3PO4 precipitation begins
(d) [Ag+] at which Ag3PO4 precipitation is 99.99% complete
e) Give the [Ag+] range in which a complete separation by precipitation can be achieved.
- chemistry - DrBob222, Sunday, March 25, 2012 at 4:48pm
I can get you started but it's too long to work out in excruciating detail.
AgBr ==> Ag^+ + Br^-
Ksp = (Ag^+)(Br^-) = 5.0E-13
When Ag^+ is added ion by ion, AgBr will start to ppt when (Ag^+) = 5.0E-13/0.31 = 1.6E-12.
When 99.99% has been pptd that will leave (Br^-) of 0.31 x (0.01/100) = 3.1E-5 and
(Ag^+) = 5.0E-13/3.1E-5 = 1.6E-8. Ag3PO4 will not have begun to ppt then
for (Ag^+) must be at least
(Ag^+) = cube root(Ksp/PO4) = 1.8E-6
- chemistry - Tanner, Sunday, March 25, 2012 at 5:12pm
i figured it out but how do i get the Low end and High end?
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- chemistry - The values of Ksp for AgBr and AgCl, are 7.7x10^-13 and 1.6 x 10^-10...
- Calculus III - Compute the length of the curve r(t)=5ti+8tj+(t2+4)k over the ...
- chemistry - Several reactions are carried out using AgBr, a cream-colored silver...
- Chemistry - (Ksp= 5.0*10^-13) 1) Calculate the molar solubility of AgBr in 3.0×...
- Chemistry - The values of Ksp for silver bromide, AgBr is 7.7x10^-13, and silver...
- chemistry - Consider a solution containing 0.47 M HOCl and 0.67 M NaOCl for the ...
- Chemistry - Question: you have .420 Litters of a solution containing Ag3PO4 (s) ...
- Chemistry - "Arsenic acid (H3AsO4) is a triprotic acid with Ka1 = 5 10-3, Ka2 = ...
- Chemistry - Would the solubility of AgBr(s) in a .10 M. KNO3 be smaller, larger ...
- chemistry - The copper(I) ion forms a chloride salt that has Ksp = 1.2 10-6. ...