Posted by Hannah on Saturday, March 24, 2012 at 5:48pm.
1) Which statement below is correct (true)?
a) Since HNO2 is a stronger acid than HF it must have a greater pKa.
b) Since HOCℓ is a stronger acid than HCN, then OCℓ– is a stronger base than CN–.
c) The dissociation (or ionization) of HOCℓ in water is HOCℓ + H2O º HCℓ + 2OH–.
d) The pH of a 0.10 M solution of acetic acid (Ka = 1.8 x 10-5) will be higher than the pH of a 0.10 M solution of formic acid (Ka = 1.8 x 10-4).
e) If the Kb for CH3NH2 is 5.0 x 10-4, the Ka for CH3NH3+ is 2.0 x 10-5.
My answer is that the pH of acetic acid will be higher than formic acid.
2)Which of the following is a Bronsted-Lowry base but not a Lewis base?
H2O, CN^-^, HSO4^-^, NH3, all choices are both B/L and Lewis base.
I know that H2O and NH3 are lewis base but I am not sure about CN^-^ adn CO3^2-^. I think that CO3^2-^ is the answer that is not a lewis base.
Would you agree with my answers? Thank you for checking my answers.
- Chemistry(Please check) - DrBob222, Saturday, March 24, 2012 at 5:58pm
#1 is ok.
#2. You don't have carbonate listed.
- Chemistry(Please check) - Hannah, Saturday, March 24, 2012 at 6:11pm
Oh Im sorry I missed that. CO3^2-^ is an answer listed. I was able to find that CN^-^ is a BL base but Im still not sure if it is a Lewis base. I do not think it is.
- Chemistry(Please check) - DrBob222, Saturday, March 24, 2012 at 7:13pm
CN^- is a B.L base because it can add a proton as H:C:::N:
and it has those lone pairs so it can donate electrons, too.
- Chemistry(Please check) - Hannah, Saturday, March 24, 2012 at 9:40pm
Ok so the only one im still not sure about is CO3^2-^. The -2 are lone pairs so I guess it is both Lewis and BL.
- Chemistry(Please check) - DrBob222, Sunday, March 25, 2012 at 12:07am
I think that's right.
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- Chemistry - which of the following statements are true? a) For an acid H-O-A : ...
- chemistry - If the acid base reaction HA(aq)+B^-(aq)---> HB(aq)+A^-(aq) <...
- Chemistry - The principal quantum number, n, describes the energy level of a ...
- Chemistry(Please just check, thank you) - 1) The approximate pH of a 3.0 X 10^-3...
- Chemistry - NH3 and CH3NH2 have Kb values of 1.8 x 10-5 and 5.0 x 10-4, ...
- college - NH3 and CH3NH2 have Kb values of 1.8 x 10-5 and 5.0 x 10-4, ...
- chemistry - why is HS- a stronger BL base compared to HSO4 In a series of ...
- chemistry - Hydrocyanic acid (HCN) is a much weaker acid than nitrous acid (HNO2...
- Chemistry - If the standard state of sufur is S8 (s), which of the following ...
- chemistry - If the standard state of sufur is S8 (s), which of the following ...