Posted by Meenaakshi on Friday, March 23, 2012 at 8:33am.
500.0mL of 0.220 mol/L HCl(aq) was added to a high quality insulated calorimeter containing 500.0mL of 0.200mol/L NaOH(aq).Both solutions had a density of 1.000g/mL & a specific heat of 4.184 J/g.K. The calorimeter had a heat capacity of 850.0 J/degree C. The temperature of the entire system changes from 25.6 to 26.7C. Calculate dH in kJ/mole for NaOH.
I know the initial part of this problem.
q = mcdT
m of HCI = density X volume
= 1 g/ml X 500ml= 500 g
m of NaoH = 1g/mL X 500ml = 500 g
q = (500+500)(4.184)(1.1)
= 4602.4 J
Hope my approach is correct to this point.My problem is I don't know how to relate the heat capacity of calorimeter to the problem and how to find dH of NaOH eventually.
Need help. Thank you.
Chemistry - DrBob222, Friday, March 23, 2012 at 11:07am
The calorimeter absorbs heat also; the way to handle that is to add it to the number you've calculated for the rest of the system.
4602.4 J + (Ccal x delta T) = 850 J/C * 1.1 = ?
Chemistry - Meenaakshi, Saturday, March 24, 2012 at 6:07am
Ok,then how do I find the dH of NaOH? Do I need to use the total heat of the system and divide it by the mass of NaOH to get its dH ? I'm still confused
Chemistry - Meenaakshi, Saturday, March 24, 2012 at 6:08am
Sorry what I meant was dividing the total heat with mole of NaOH ,not mass.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Chemistry - 500.0 mL of 0.220 mol/L HCl(aq) was added to a high quality ...
- chemistry - When 50.0mL of 1.20 M of HCl (aq)is combined with 50.0mL of 1.30 M ...
- Chemistry - Please help me figure out where I went wrong. HNO3 + KOH -> KNO3...
- Chemistry - If 4.168 kJ of heat is added to a calorimeter containing 75.40 g of ...
- college chemistry - When a solution containing 8.00 g NaOH in 50.0 g of water ...
- chemistry - 10mL of 0.500M HCl was added to 50mL of 0.100M NaOH in a coffee cup ...
- chemisrty - A 50.0 mL solution of 1.2 M HCl at 24.1C is mixed with 50.0 mL of 1....
- Chemistry - A common laboratory reaction is the neutralization of an acid with a...
- Chemistry - In lab we determined the heat capacity of a calorimeter. The ...
- chemistry - 1. a) 50ml of water at 46.9°C were mixed with 50ml of water at 25.1°...