Posted by Li on Tuesday, March 20, 2012 at 5:37pm.
In the word ecologists, is eco the root morpheme or ology? Are the morphemes eco, log, y, ist, s or
ec, ology, ist, s ?
This is very confusing for me. Any explanation on how to find the root would be appreciated.
For example, on contributions are the morphemes con, trib, ute, ion, s or con, tribute, ion, s?
- English - Writeacher, Tuesday, March 20, 2012 at 5:46pm
A good place to start is any good dictionary --
www.onelook.com (there's a wide variety of dictionaries to choose from here)
Look under the definitions. You'll see the major parts of this word that came to us from the Greek. The root is -log- from the Greek word for words or study; the prefix is from the Greek word oikos (house) and -ist is the suffix that indicates "a person who..."
I would divide up "ecologists" like this:
Try again with "contributions."
- English - Li, Tuesday, March 20, 2012 at 6:53pm
Would log be the root in ecologists?
- English - Writeacher, Tuesday, March 20, 2012 at 6:57pm
Yes, "log" is the root in "ecologists."
I almost agree with what you wrote for "contributions" -- see what you think:
- English - Li, Tuesday, March 20, 2012 at 7:51pm
I am confused because I think on the word contribute, tribute would be the root. I'm just confused about why this would change on contributions.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- English - In the word ecologists, is eco the root morpheme or ology? Are the ...
- Grammar/Morphemes - In the word ecologists, is eco the root morpheme or ology? ...
- English - requirements name the root morpheme:quire # of bound morphemes: 3 ...
- 5th math - what ist he mean for the following nubers? 33,41,37,27,32. can you ...
- Math - Out of 40 student in a class 16 study English ,22study account & 26 eco. ...
- german - Hallo. Mein Deutsch ist nicht so gut. Es gibt Fehler in diesem Absatz? ...
- Morpheme Practice (Lit) - Hi I'm confused on what is an stem extender and ...
- grammar - 1."interest" is the root morpheme of the word disinterestedly Answer "...
- Vocabulary - Which of the following suffixes means “the study of”? A. -eer/-or/-...
- English - In the word disinterestedly, the root morpheme is