Posted by millli on Tuesday, March 20, 2012 at 1:12pm.
Bill spends an average of 5 minutes each day waiting in lines. If Bill is typical of the 290 million people in the United States, which of the following expresses the approximate combined amount of time these people spend annually waiting in line?
A. 1.45 × 109 minutes a year
B. 14.5 × 108 minutes a year
C. 1.825 × 103 minutes a year
D. 0.52925 × 1010 minutes a year
E. 5.2925 × 1011 minutes a year
Skip this question for now.
- statistics - MathMate, Tuesday, March 20, 2012 at 5:31pm
millli, for your information, scientific notation can be written as
1.45x10^9, or 1.45x10E9.
So the above choices are really:
A. 1.45 × 10^9 minutes a year
B. 14.5 × 10^8 minutes a year
C. 1.825 × 10^3 minutes a year
D. 0.52925 × 10^10 minutes a year
E. 5.2925 × 10^11 minutes a year
The total number of minutes will therefore be
5 min/person/day * 365 days/year *290x10^6 people
I'll let you do the calculator exercise.
- math - rahh, Thursday, September 13, 2012 at 6:57pm
Answer this Question
- statistics - Calculate the approximate probability that the average time (taken ...
- Statistics - The average amount of time people spend on facebook each day is 71 ...
- math - Date US Population Jul 1, 2012 313.85 million Jul 1, 2011 311.59 million...
- Math - Bill spends 30 minutes on his homework. Dave spent three times as long as...
- Algebra - An average American spends 30 minutes a day waiting in a line. They ...
- statistics - The average amount of time people spend on facebook each day is 71 ...
- History - Which term is applied to a legislator who introduces a bill? president...
- confidentiality in allied health,part 1 - if the persident of the united states ...
- Statistics - A recent study of US children under 11 years old found that they ...
- Simple Interest Applications - An investor purchased a 91-day, $100,000 T-bill ...