Posted by pooja on Saturday, March 17, 2012 at 10:32am.
The diagram shows a spinner with six numbered sections.(where it has number 2 twice, # 1 triple & # 6 once )
Some of the sections are shaded.
Each time the spinner is spun it stops on one of the six sections.
It is equally likely that it stops on any one of the sections.
(a)The spinner is now spun twice. find the probability that the total of the 2 numbers is
(i)20 (ii) 11
(b)The spinner is now spun until it stops on a section numbered 2.
The probability that this happens on the nth spin is
Find the value of n.
kindly show the steps
- maths-probability - Reiny, Saturday, March 17, 2012 at 1:34pm
Since all you can get is 1, 2 or 6
there is no way to get a total of 20 or 11 with only 2 spins.
looks like either a typo or a flaw in the question.
Spin until you get a 2 ....
getting a 2 on
1 spin = (1/3)
2 spins = (2/3)(1/3) = 2^1 / 3^2
3 spins = (2/3)^2 (1/3) = 2^2 / 3^3
4 spins = (2/3)^3 (1/3) = 2^3 / 3^4
n spins = 2^(n-1) / 3^n
so 2^(n-1) / 3^n = 16/243
2^(n-1) / 3^n = 2^4 / 3^5
n = 5
Answer this Question
- math - A spinner is divided into 5 equal sections numbered 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5. If...
- Math. - A spinner is divided into 8 equal sections. There are 3 yellow sections ...
- Algebra 2 - There are two spinners. Each spinner is numbered 1-4. Each spinner ...
- Math - You roll a number cube numbered from 1 to 6. You then spin a spinner with...
- Math - My question: A spinner looks like this: A disc divided into sections that...
- Probability - The spinner has 6 sections 2 of which are 2. The spinner is now ...
- Math (Probability) - I've worked out the first part of the question, just need ...
- Math - Probability - A spinner is divided into 11 equal sections numbered from ...
- math - The table shows the results of a spinner with four colored sections. Use ...
- Math - I am stuck on several probability questions. A spinner that has 15 equal ...