Posted by brad on Friday, March 16, 2012 at 9:00pm.
A 30.00mL sample of a clear saturated solution of PbI2 requires 14.7mL of a certain AgNO3 for its titration.
I^-(saturated PbI2)+Ag^+(from AgNO3)--> AgI(s)
What is the molarity of this AgNO3?
I'm not really sure where to start.
- chemistry - DrBob222, Friday, March 16, 2012 at 9:34pm
Let's work backwards.
M = moles/L
Do we know L AgNO3? Yes, 14.7 mL or 0.0147 L. Do we know mole? No. Where can we get that? Look at the PbI2 (that's all that's left. right?)
PbI2(sat'd) ==> Pb^2+ + 2I^-
Ksp = (Pb^2+)(I^-)^2 = Ksp. You know Ksp, You can calculate solubility PbI2 and from that the (Pb^2+) as well as the (I^-). How many mols I^- do you have? That's mols x L (30 mL sample) = ?
The titration step is Ag^+ + I^- ==> AfI
mols I^- = moles Ag^+ from the balanced equation which gives you the moles you need back at the top. Solve for M Ag^+
- chemistry - brad, Saturday, March 17, 2012 at 10:21am
how can i calculate the solubility with the information given ? in class we use concentrations to find solubility
- chemistry - DrBob222, Saturday, March 17, 2012 at 12:44pm
Ksp PbI2 = about 1E-10 but you need to look it up.
Let x = solubility
...........PbI2 ==> Pb^2+ + 2I^-
Ksp = (Pb^2+)(I^-)^2
1E-10 = (x)(2x)^2
Solve for x = solubility
- chemistry - brad, Saturday, March 17, 2012 at 6:15pm
So i found the solubility to be x=0.001296, is this the concentration of I^-? can i multiply this by 30mL to get my moles?
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Chemistry - A 25.00 mL sample of a clear saturated solution of PbI2 requires 14....
- Analytic Chemistry - At 25 °C, you conduct a titration of 15.00 mL of a 0.0260 M...
- Chemistry - List the following equilibrium solutions in order of decreasing free...
- Chemistry - Net ionic equations for: Br- + AgNO3 CO3 + AgNO3 Cl-+ AgNO3 I + ...
- chemistry - A solution prepared by mixing 16.7 mL of 0.760 M NaCl and 16.7 mL of...
- Chemistry - A saturated solution is prepared by adding excess PbI2(s) to ...
- chemistry - We are doing a lab that requires finding the molarity of an unknown ...
- chemistry - 0.550g sample containing only nacl and kbr.it dissolved in water and...
- Analytical chemistry - a .2280g sample contained only NaCl and KBr. it was ...
- Analytical Chemistry - why is it necessary to store AgNO3 solution in an amber ...