Posted by Priyanka on Friday, March 16, 2012 at 5:28pm.
A pole-vaulter of mass 59.9 kg vaults to a height of 5.9 m before dropping to thick padding placed below to cushion her fall.
(a) Find the speed with which she lands.
(b) If the padding brings her to a stop in a time of 0.48 s, what is the average force on her body due to the padding during that time interval?
I have no clue how to even start this! If someone could help, then please; I would appreciate it!
- Physics - bobpursley, Friday, March 16, 2012 at 5:55pm
a. find the speed from the height he fell.
- Physics - Priyanka, Friday, March 16, 2012 at 8:54pm
Do I use kinematic equation for part a?
And what would be the force for part b?
- Physics - Elena, Saturday, March 17, 2012 at 9:31am
From the law of conservation of energy:
PE = KE
mgh = mv^2/2
- Physics - Priyanka, Saturday, March 17, 2012 at 12:45pm
Thank you Elena :) !
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- Physics - A pole-vaulter of mass 60.2 kg vaults to a height of 6.1 m before ...
- Physics - Two pole-vaulters just clear the bar at the same height. The first ...
- AP Physics - A pole-vaulter approaches the takeoff point at a speed of 9.50 m/s...
- Physics - A 59 kg pole-vaulter falls from rest from a height of 5.5 m onto a ...
- Physics - A 55 kg pole vaulter falls from rest from a height of 5m onto a foam ...
- physics - A 85 kg pole-vaulter falls from rest from a height of 6.4 m onto a ...
- Physics - A 57.8 kg pole-vaulter falls from rest from a height of 5.4 m onto a ...
- physics - please help i cannot figure this out A 0.27 kg ball of dough is thrown...
- physics - A 52-kg pole vaulter running at 12 m/s vaults over the bar. Her speed ...
- physics - A 42-kg pole vaulter running at 14 m/s vaults over the bar. Her speed ...