Posted by Nicole on Thursday, March 15, 2012 at 12:21pm.
You're on a magic bridge floating 25 meters above a lake. You through a rock at an angle of sixty degrees. It takes 5.8 seconds for the rock to reach it's highest point.
(a) With what speed did you throw the rock?
(b) How far away from the bridge horizontally did the rock land?
- physics - bobpursley, Thursday, March 15, 2012 at 12:24pm
sixty degres measured how?
- physics - Nicole, Thursday, March 15, 2012 at 12:29pm
Measured to the horizontal
- physics - bobpursley, Thursday, March 15, 2012 at 12:37pm
Then the vertical velocity initial is Vsin60.
At the top, vertical velocity is zero.
so time to top= Vivertial/g=Vsin60 /g
then solve for V
Now how far: You have to find vertical time in air.
hf=hi+Vivertical*t-1/2 g t^2
0=23+Vsin60* t-1/2 g t^2
solve for t, time in air. Use the quadratic formula.
Now distance: distance= Vhoriz*timeinair
where vhoriz= Vcos60
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Physics - A person drops a small rock from a bridge. If it takes 1.70 seconds ...
- physics - a boy stands on a cliff overlooking a lake below. He throws a rock at ...
- College Physics - Consider a rock thrown off a bridge of height 78.5 m at an ...
- physics - A rock is thrown horizontally from a bridge with a speed of 30.3 m/s. ...
- physics - Consider a rock that is thrown off a bridge of height 27 m at an angle...
- Physics - A rock is thrown off a bridge at an angle of 38degree above horizontal...
- Physics 270-1 Applied - A rock is thrown down with an initial speed of 30.0ft/s ...
- Physics - A rock is dropped from a bridge to the water below. It takes 2.40 s ...
- Physics - A rock is thrown horizontally from a bridge with a speed of 30.1 m/s. ...
- Physics - An astronaut is stranded on another planet with UNKNOWN GRAVITY. He ...