Posted by Mel on Sunday, March 11, 2012 at 10:44pm.
A 5 kg block is placed near the top of a frictionless ramp, which makes an angle of 30o degrees to the horizontal. A distance d = 1.3 m away from the block is an unstretched spring with k = 3000 N/m. The block slides down the ramp and compresses the spring. Find the magnitude of the maximum compression of the spring.
physics - drwls, Monday, March 12, 2012 at 3:19am
Use conservation of energy.
At the top of the ramp and end of compression, the kinetic energy is zero, so
Initial gravity P.E. = Final spring P.E.
M g d sin30 = (1/2) k Xmax^2
Solve for Xmax
physics - hi, Tuesday, September 23, 2014 at 3:39pm
physics - Dont need my name, Wednesday, February 18, 2015 at 6:20pm
physics - Anonymous, Sunday, March 1, 2015 at 5:52pm
physics - Mystery, Friday, October 23, 2015 at 10:41pm
you must account for the distance the spring compresses as well as the 1.3m the block travels the final equation will turn out to be a quadratic
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Physics - A block of mass 2.00kg starts at rest at the top of a ramp that is ...
- General Physics - A 4 kg block slides along a frictionless horizontal with a ...
- physics - A physics student pulls a block of mass m = 23 kg up an incline at a ...
- physics - A 1.80-kg block slides down a frictionless ramp.The top of the ramp is...
- physics - A 1.9 kg block slides down a frictionless ramp, as shown in figure 8-...
- physics - A 1.9- block slides down a frictionless ramp, as shown in the figure. ...
- Physics - A block of mass m1 = 22.0 kg is connected to a block of mass m2 = 40.0...
- Physics - A block is placed on a frictionless ramp at a height of 14.5 m above ...
- Physics - A block of mass m is placed in a smooth-bored spring gun at the bottom...
- Physics - A 20.0 kg block is connected to a 30.0 kg block by a string that ...