Posted by Ashley on Sunday, March 11, 2012 at 1:08am.
Assuming the final solution will be diluted to 1.00 , how much more should you add to achieve the desired pH?
Imagine that you are in chemistry lab and need to make 1.00 L of a solution with a pH of 2.80.
You have in front of you:
100 ml of 7.00×10−2 M HCl,
100 ml of 5.00×10−2 M NaOH and
plenty of distilled water.
You start to add HCl to a beaker of water when someone asks you a question. When you return to your dilution, you accidentally grab the wrong cylinder and add some NaOH. Once you realize your error, you assess the situation. You have 85.0 mL of HCl and 89.0 ml of NaOH left in their original containers.
Chemistry Help! Thank you :) - DrBob222, Sunday, March 11, 2012 at 12:54pm
You added 15 mL x 0.07M HCl = 1.05 millimoles initially.
Then you added 11 mL x 0.05M NaOH = 0.55 mmoles NaOH. Those react in 1:1 ratio to form 0.55 mmoles NaCl and this leaves 1.05-0.55 = 0.50 mmoles HCl remaining.
A pH of 2.80 = -log(H^+) and solve for (H^+); I obtained 0.00158M is what you want to produce.
0.00158 moles desired for the 1 L.
-0.0005 on hand with the 26 ml.
0.00108 moles extra needed.
M = moles/L and
L = moles/M = 0.00108/0.07 = ? L HCl needed, the make to 1L final volume.
Check my work.
Chemistry Help! Thank you :) - Ashley, Monday, March 12, 2012 at 3:22am
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Chemistry - Imagine that you are in chemistry lab and need to make 1.00 L of a ...
- chemistry- some help plzz totally lost on this one - Imagine that you are in ...
- CHEM HELPP!!! - Imagine that you are in chemistry lab and need to make 1.00 of a...
- CHEMISTRY HELP! - (1) A beaker with 165 mL of an acetic acid buffer with a pH of...
- chemistry - You have 67.0 mL of a 0.400 M stock solution that must be diluted to...
- chemistry 1020 - You have 67.0 mL of a 0.400 M stock solution that must be ...
- Chemistry 12 - In a lab the task was to dilute a 1.0M sol'n of Acetic Acid to a ...
- chemistry - How much of a 100mM solution do I need to add to a 2.5mM solution to...
- chemistry - You need to make an aqueous solution of 0.121 M magnesium chloride ...
- Algebra 1 - 1. A chemistry student needs to make a solution that is 70% water ...