Posted by Sandy on Saturday, March 10, 2012 at 6:32pm.
Mr. Rogers wants to fence in a rectangular garden next to a straight section of the Scioto
River. He has 330 feet of fencing to do the entire job. He doesn’t need fencing along the
river, and there is a 4.5 foot wide clearance for a gate at one end.
What are the dimensions of the garden (x and y) with the largest area.
- Math - Reiny, Saturday, March 10, 2012 at 11:04pm
let the width be x
and the length be y
so we are given ....
2x - 4.5 + y = 330
y = 334.5 - 2x
area = xy
= 334.5x - 2x^2
d(area)/dx = 334.5 - 4x = 0 for a max area
4x = 334.5
x = 334.5/4 = 83.625
y = 334.5 - 2(83.625) = 167.25
167.25+83.625+83.625-4.5 = 330
area = xy = 13986.28125
let x = 83 , then y = 168.5
area = 13985.5 , a bit smaller
let x = 84 , then y = 166.5
area = xy = 13986 , also a bit smaller than the above
answer looks good.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- algebra - 18. Mr. Rogers wants to fence in a rectangular garden next to a ...
- Algebra 2 - Ann wants to plant a rectangular garden next to a straight river. ...
- Maath:) - Sam is going to plant a rectangular flower garden next to his house. ...
- algebra - A man has 400 meters of fencing and wants to fence in a rectangular ...
- college Algebra - A rectangular fence is to be built along a river using the ...
- Algebra - Word Problems: 1. A farmer has 2400 feet of fencing and wants to fence...
- Math - A farmer has 2,400 feet of fencing and wants to fence off a rectangular ...
- Pre Calculus - A contractor is to fence off a rectangular field along a straight...
- math: optimising - I cant figure out this homework question! I need to use ...
- Algebra and Trig - Aldo has feet of fencing. He will use it to form three sides ...