Posted by Katherine on Thursday, March 8, 2012 at 10:42pm.
Under standard conditions (298 K and 1 atm), which statement is true?
a] diamond converts to graphite spontaneously
b] graphite converts to diamond spontaneously
c] none of the above
How can the spontaneity of the reaction be reversed? a] increase the temperature
b] decrease the temperature
c] none of the above
If i calculated it right i got Delta H to be -1.9 kJ/mol
Delta S to be 3.3 J/mol k
and Delta G to be -2.9 kJ/mol
does this mean that the first part was a] diamond converts to graphite spontaneously since delta G was negative?
Chemistry - DrBob222, Thursday, March 8, 2012 at 10:48pm
Yes, that's exactly what it means. So how do diamonds hold their value? Because
a) most people don't know that.
b) it says nothing about the rate of the reaction. As it happens the activation energy for the reaction C(diamond) ==> C(graphite) is a large bump to get over and it takes a few million years (I didn't calculate late; it's just a number I pulled out of a hat) for diamonds to change back to graphite.
Chemistry - Katherine, Thursday, March 8, 2012 at 11:09pm
Chemistry - MK, Tuesday, October 23, 2012 at 3:55pm
What is the answer to the second part of the question?
Chemistry - dj, Saturday, February 9, 2013 at 11:14pm
Part 1 is A
Part 2 is C none of the above
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Chemistry please help! - The reaction through which carbon changes from graphite...
- Chemistry please help - The reaction through which carbon changes from graphite ...
- Chemistry - The reaction through which carbon changes from graphite to diamond ...
- Chem - The reaction through which carbon changes from graphite to diamond form ...
- physical sciences - Diamond is the hardest substance known while graphite is one...
- Chemistry - Consider diamond and graphite. Which of the following is true? (A) ...
- chemistry - Why is graphite more stable than diamond at 25˚C and 1 atm?
- Chemistry/geology - Why is graphite more stable than diamond at 25˚C and 1 ...
- chemistry - under what conditions could the decomposition of Ag2O(s) into Ag(s) ...
- chemistry - Diamond and graphite are both allotropes of carbon. However only ...