Posted by Sarah on Thursday, March 8, 2012 at 9:13pm.
In the figure, two balls are located in deep space. The black ball has mass 56kg and the red ball has mass 17kg. The distance between the two balls is r=24cm.
(a) Find the magnitude of the acceleration of the red ball.
(b) If r is 5 times larger, with what factor will the acceleration of the red ball change?
(c) If the mass of the black ball is 45 times larger, with what factor will the acceleration of the red ball change?
(d) If the mass of the red ball is 50 times larger, with what factor will the acceleration of the red ball change?
Physics - drwls, Thursday, March 8, 2012 at 9:54pm
If you had shown some work, I would be willing to help. You are apparently using the service to harvest answers. Good luck.
Physics - Sarah, Thursday, March 8, 2012 at 10:45pm
i'm not sure how to begin the problem at all. Or else I would have shown some work. thanks though
Physics - drwls, Friday, March 9, 2012 at 12:51am
(a) Get the force acting on each ball from Newton's universal law of gravity. That's whereto begin.
Force = G*M1*M2/r^2 (same for both balls)
G = universal constant
M1 = black ball mass
M2 = red ball mass
The acceleration of the red ball will be that force divided by the mass of the red ball.
(b) What happens when you multiply r by 5?
(d) a = Force/M2 is unchanged
Physics - Sarah, Friday, March 9, 2012 at 1:50pm
thank you for your help! I really appreciate it.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- physics - Two small plastic balls hang from threads of negligible mass. Each ...
- stats - A jar contains 7 black balls and 25 red balls. You take 2 out without ...
- Math - "In vase A, there are 3 red balls and 5 white balls. In vase B, there are...
- physic - Two spherical balls are placed so their centers are 2.6 m apart. The ...
- finite math - 6 red balls, 5 black balls, 4 green balls, what is probability, 1 ...
- physics - Two identical balls each have a charge of -7.5x10^-6C. The balls hang ...
- physics - Two balls are approaching each other head-on. Their velocities are +9....
- statistics - If a bag contains a set of 20 red balls, 10 green balls, and 15 ...
- Gen physics - Two balls are approaching each other head-on. Their velocities are...
- Physics - Two balls are approaching each other head on. Their velocities are + 9...