Posted by Mik on Thursday, March 8, 2012 at 5:34pm.
Alberto figures that the probability of his hockey team winning on saturday is 65%. Alvin figures that the probability of his basketball team winning on saturday is 70%. Assume that the events are independent and that the boys estimates of the probability are accurate
A. Find the probability that both teams will win on Saturday
B. Find the probability that both teams will lose on saterday
C. Find the probability that albertos team will win but alvins team will lose
D. Find the probability that albertos team will lose but alvins team will win
Math - MathMate, Thursday, March 8, 2012 at 8:21pm
1. If the probability of the hockey team winning is 0.65, then the probability of the team losing is 1-0.65=0.35, by Kolmogorov's third axiom.
2. The multiplication rule:
The probability of two independent events happening is the product of the individual probabilities.
A. Both teams will win:
3. Since all possible outcomes are included in the four cases A,B,C, and D, their probabilities must add up to 1.0
Math - jpace, Monday, May 13, 2013 at 4:40pm
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- maths - In the finals of a rugby tournament, two teams play a best of 5 series. ...
- maths/probability - q/ in a soccer match where team a has form figures of W/2 D/...
- Mathematics - the probability of the home team's winning a basketball game is 80...
- Data Management (need help) - Suppose that the SJCS and Mary Ward are in the ...
- Math - the probability of a team winning is 65%. The team played four games in a...
- Mathematics - Please help... In a 200 m swimming race between 8 boys, the ...
- Probability - Two equally matched teams are playing a game of volleyball. Each ...
- Prob. Math - Two teams have played each other 14 times. Team A won 9 games and ...
- Statistics - Two groups of climbers (team A and Team B) attempt to climb Mount ...
- Math - 1. A tennis player wins a math 55% of the time when she serves first and ...