Posted by Angela on Monday, March 5, 2012 at 6:55pm.
Some bacteria are propelled by motors that spin hair-like flagella. A typical bacterial motor turning at a constant angular velocity has a radius of 1.1x10-8m, and a tangential speed at the rim of 2.0x10-5 m/s. (a) What is the angular speed (the magnitude of the angular velocity) of this bacterial motor? (b) How long does it take the motor to make one revolution?
I was able to answer a) but I am not sure what equation to use for part b. Below is what I have calculate. A helpful nudge in the right way would be great!
VT = 2.0x10-5 m/s
r = 1.1x10-8m
w = 1818.18 rad/s
a)w = (2.0x10-5 m/s = 1.1x10-8m)t
College Physics - drwls, Monday, March 5, 2012 at 7:13pm
a) angular speed = w = V/R
= 2*10^-5/1.1*10^-8 = 1818 rad/s
b) Period = (2 pi)/w = 3.36*10^-3 s
College Physics - Angela, Monday, March 5, 2012 at 7:22pm
You answer is correct. My calculator is giving me 0.00345. I am not sure why. Do you think that it could be a setting that I need to change?
College Physics - Angela, Monday, March 5, 2012 at 7:27pm
Never mind - I figured it out.
Thanks for your help!
College Physics - K, Thursday, November 17, 2016 at 5:14pm
my calculator is giving me 0.00345. How did you figure it out?
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Physics - Some bacteria are propelled by motors that spin hair-like flagella. A ...
- physics - Some bacteria are propelled by biological motors that spin hair-like ...
- Physics(Please help) - Some bacteria are propelled by motors that spin hair-like...
- Physics(Please respond) - Some bacteria are propelled by motors that spin hair-...
- Physics - A uniform disk with mass 6 kg and radius 1.8 m is pivoted at its ...
- physics - The flywheel of a steam engine runs with a constant angular speed of ...
- physics - A disk with mass m = 8.1 kg and radius R = 0.33 m begins at rest and ...
- physics - (a) What is the tangential acceleration of a bug on the rim of a 6.0 ...
- physics - A car is up on a hydraulic at a garage. The wheels are free to rotate...
- Radians - The angular speed of a large pulley wheel that has a radius of 15, is ...