Posted by Priscilla on Monday, March 5, 2012 at 2:40pm.
I wanted to calculate the average equivalent weight of an unknown acid for an acid-base titration experiment. The mass of the unknown that I had to obtain is 0.2 g and the equivalents of the acid is .001046 L x N. But is this equation right? Does the equivalent mass equal to the mass of the solid acid divided by the number of equivalents of acid? If so, isn't the average eq. wt. too high?
Thank you so much for any help.
Chemistry - DrBob222, Monday, March 5, 2012 at 2:44pm
liters x normality x equivalent weight = grams.
Chemistry - Priscilla, Monday, March 5, 2012 at 3:03pm
wait, liters x normality = grams because I wanted to find the equivalent wt
Chemistry - Priscilla, Monday, March 5, 2012 at 3:09pm
Wait, im not making sense. I know liters x normality gives you the equivalents of an acid. But are you sure it's not the grams I obtained divided by the equivalents of the acid.
Chemistry - DrBob222, Monday, March 5, 2012 at 4:26pm
Of course it is but that's what I wrote in a different form.
liters x normality x eq wt = grams.
liters x normality = # equiv so
#eq x eq wt = grams and
eq wt = grams/#equivalents
liters x normality x equivalent weight = grams BECAUSE it solve one equation instead of three and get the same answer.
Chemistry - Priscilla, Monday, March 5, 2012 at 5:16pm
ok, thank you very much for your time and patience. I understand, im sorry if I bothered you too much. But thanks a lot.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Chemistry - Lab: Titration of NaOH (0.1 molar)to unknown solid acid. Trying to ...
- Chemistry - I there, this is my lab worksheet, I am having trouble filling it ...
- Chemistry - Expt #1- Molecular Weight of Unknown Acid Unknown Acid: #2 Mass of ...
- Chemistry, pH, Buffers - Please help!! Given this data: mass of unknown acid 1....
- Chemistry - Since the unkown acid is monoprotic, this also equals the number of ...
- Chemistry, Buffers, pH - Hi could someone please help me in the next 5 minutes ...
- Chemistry - Find the Molecular weight of unknown acid #5... Mass of acid #5 = 1....
- Chemistry - Unknown Acid: #2 Mass of Unknown solid acid transferred:0.414g ...
- chemistry - Three samples of an unknown acid are titrated with 0.4901 M NaOH. ...
- Chemistry - We will calculate the amount of acid to use in each titration. ...