Posted by Erica on Monday, March 5, 2012 at 1:58pm.
the design below grows each day, as shown. if the pattern continues to grow like this, how many tiles will there be in the design on the tenth day? on the fiftieth day?
Day 1 1 tile
Day 2 5 tiles
Day 3 13 tiles
- Math - Susan, Monday, March 5, 2012 at 2:23pm
1+4(n-1) where n is the day number
on day 10
on day fifty
- Math - Steve, Monday, March 5, 2012 at 3:52pm
Day 3 does not fit: 1+4*2 = 9
Since the difference is changing by 4 each day, we will have a quadratic:
Day n: 2n^2 - 2n + 1
- Math - Sandro, Friday, April 27, 2012 at 5:50pm
What do you mean by the ^ in your equation Steve? I don't really understand the 2n^2-2n+1. I did figure out it was a quadratic equation, and actually happened to figure out the entire problem until I noticed it said "Write a description or formula that allows me to figure out the number of tiles for any day number?"
- Math - Sandro, Friday, April 27, 2012 at 6:21pm
Oh, ok, do you mean to cube the first number by the 2nd, get back to me... Thnx
- Math - Sandro, Friday, April 27, 2012 at 7:09pm
Steve is wrong!!! D:
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- Math - Tile Pattern... A design starts with 1 tile and it continues to grow the ...
- math - Gino just opened a pizza restaurant. He had 1 customer the first day, 3 ...
- biology - time day 0 day 1 day 3 day 4 day 5 day 7 count blank 7 10 5 14 9 8 low...
- Math - In a financial deal, you are promised $800 the first day and each day ...
- Algebra - Stella is recording temperatures every day for 5 days. On the first ...
- CS - what would the output of this code be? int startDay = 6; int day = 22; ...
- LANGUAGE ARTS - Please help with question below What sort of day does Emily ...
- Math - Cari Bean was on her way to the islands in her yachet. Because of the ...
- math - You offer to do the dishes for your family for the next month.This month ...
- Math - Lawrence records the number of minutes he reads each day show below Day 1...