Posted by Court on Sunday, March 4, 2012 at 9:23pm.
the thermochemical equation for th edissocation of hydrogen gas into atoms may be written :
h2-> 2H delta H 1824.2
what is the ration of the energy yield on combustion of hydrogen atoms to steam to yield ion combustion of an equal mass of hydrogen molecules to steam given
2H2(g) = O2 (g) -> 2h20 (g) delta H = -2023.7 kj
chemistry - DrBob222, Sunday, March 4, 2012 at 9:33pm
I know you want a ratio but I don't know what ratio you want? What is "to yield ion combustion of....."
chemistry - Court, Sunday, March 4, 2012 at 9:55pm
excatly, im just as confused. I tried to email him, no reply.
The problem says what is the ratio of energy yield on combustion of hydrogen atoms to steam to the yield on combustion of an equal mass of hydrogen molecules to steam given.
what am i missing
chemistry - DrBob222, Sunday, March 4, 2012 at 10:45pm
I'm still confused but not as much. Compare the two parts of your post, take out the i typo on ion for on and add in a word or two you omitted and it makes a little more sense. Do you suppose the prof means this?
The dissociated of H2 into atoms is done by adding 1824.2 J. So if we start with H atoms and they combine to form H2 first before combusting we should get an additional 1824.2 OUT (as a - sign). So we would get 2*2023.7 (4g H2) for 2 mols H2 and we would get 4047.4 + 2*1824.2 (4 gH atoms) if we started with H atoms? So the ratio is
atoms/molecules = ? Looks like almost double. Let me know how it turns out.
chemistry - Me, Monday, September 29, 2014 at 1:22am
Dr.Bob222 can you work this problem out fully. I don't understand at all.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- chemistry - An unknown organic compound that contains carbon,hydrogen and oxygen...
- Chemistry - Hydrogen and methanol (CH3OH) have both been proposed as ...
- chemistry - permanganate ion oxidizes hydrogen peroxide to oxygen gas and Mn2+ ...
- Chemistry. Please :( - 1. If 23.00 grams of carbon dioxide and 18.75 grams of ...
- Chemistry - A chemist reacts 8.85 g of iron with an excess of hydrogen chloride ...
- Chemistry - Determine the theoretical and percent yield of hydrogen gas if 80.5 ...
- Astronomy - Mass of the Sun = 1.989 x 10^30 kg Mass of Hydrogen Atom = 1.00794 ...
- Algebra - Joyce combines 9 atoms of hydrogen and 3 atoms of nitrogen to make 3 ...
- Chemistry - Hydrogen gas is used for many purposes, including the hydrogenation ...
- college - A gas containing both hydrogen molecules (each molecule contains two ...