Posted by Rosi on Sunday, March 4, 2012 at 8:52pm.
For the titration of 50.00 mL of 0.106 M NH3 with 0.225 M HCl, calculate
(A) the initial pH and when the pH neutralization is
(B) 25.0% complete
(C) 50.0% complete
(D) 100.0% complete
Chemistry II - DrBob222, Sunday, March 4, 2012 at 9:53pm
You need to be able to recognize where you are on the titration curve with these problems.
50.00 x 0.106 = millimoles NH3
x mL x 0.225M HCl = ? mmols HCl
a. At the beginning you have a solution of NH3 and nothing else. So you know how to solve for the pH of a 0.106 M NH3 soln. Set up the ICE chart and go from there.
d. At the equivalence point you have no acid and no base; the pH is determined by the hydrolysis of the salt. The salt is NH4Cl and it is the NH4^+ that is hydrolyzed. You will need to determine the (NH4Cl). You do that by mmoles NH3 at the start and divide by mL base(at start)+mL acid to get to the eq point). I'll call the (NH4^+) = 0.2 but that will not be right.
.......NH4^+ + H2O ==> H3O^+ + NH3
Then Ka for NH4^+ = (Kw/Kb for NH3) = (H3O^+)(NH3)/(NH4^+)
Substitute from the ICE chart and solve for x and convert that to pH.
b and c.
For all points between the beginning and the equivalence point, use the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Chemistry - For the titration of 25.00 mL of 0.150 M HCl with 0.250 M NaoH, ...
- chemistry. - in the titration between Na2CO3 and HCl... 1) at the first end ...
- chemisrty - A 21.00 sample of 0.3254M Hcl solution requires 26.09 ml of NaOH ...
- Chemistry - Acid Base Titration - When you complete a acid base titration of ...
- chemistry - A domestic cleanser contains concentrated HCl as the active ...
- English - Write complete sentence if the statement is a complete sentence. Write...
- CHEMISTRY (WEBWORK) - What is the pH of the solution created by combining 1.20 ...
- English 102 - I am not asking anyone to do my homework, i am just asking for ...
- chemistry - We are determining the molarity of HCl by titration of HCl. What ...
- chemistry - How many grams of sodium hydroxide is needed to react with 100 ml of...