Posted by Kevin on Tuesday, February 28, 2012 at 8:23pm.
Miss B. built a vegetable garden in her backyard. Her rectangular garden was 11m by 9m.
Every morning she would notice carrots missing from her garden! In order to keep Bugs Bunny from eating all her carrots, she built a fence surrounding them. This fence had a total perimeter of 8m.
Bugs Bunny had a big appetite; he also liked to eat her lettuce from the garden as well. Miss B. placed toy snakes in her garden to scare Bugs Bunny. These snakes surrounded the lettuce, stretching 3m wide by 5m long.
1. What is the total area of Miss B. garden NOT including the carrot and lettuce patches?
1. Total area of garden:
A= lxw (11m x 9m)= 99m sq.
2. Area of Carrot patch
A= LxW (2m x 2m) = 4m sq.
3. Area of lettuce patch
A= LxW (3m x 5m) = 15m sq.
Area of garden not including carrots/lettuce:
99m - 4m - 15m = 80m sq.
is this correct?
Math - just need answer checked - MathMate, Tuesday, February 28, 2012 at 9:54pm
The calculation is correct, the question is not.
You have assumed that the carrot patch is square, but nowhere does the question say so.
If you assumed something the question does not supply, you need to state your assumptions, such as:
"assuming the carrot patch is square, its dimensions are therefore 2'x2'..."
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Math (shown work, please help check) - Miss B. built a vegetable garden in her ...
- Math. - Nancy Tobey planted a vegetable garden in the backyard. However, the ...
- math - Betty bought 105 ft of fencing to enclose a vegetable garden in her ...
- math - Mrs. Sen makes two third of her garden into a vegetable garden. She ...
- Calculus 1 - You have 4L feet of fence to make a rectangular vegetable garden ...
- math - diana wants to make a 15ft. by 20ft. section of her yard into a garden. ...
- Geometry - Simon and Jane have rectangular-shaped vegetable gardens. The width ...
- math - Maria building a vegetable garden the garden has a rectangular section ...
- Algebra - A gardener has a border of flowers around a rectangular vegetable ...
- math - a person has a rectangular garden one length of the garden lies along the...