Posted by Lucy on Tuesday, February 28, 2012 at 12:39am.
using the chain rule find the min and max points and their values of the composite function defined by z=x^2+y^2, x=sin(2t), y=cos(t)
This is what Ive got so far...
I understand the steps of computing the max and min I just can't seem to solve this problem. Its on a test I have due tomorrow so please help!!
- Please help for my test CALculus - MathMate, Tuesday, February 28, 2012 at 8:45am
You need to find dz/dt=0, so set
Expand using double-angle formulae:
8cos(t)sin(t)(cos(t)^2-sin(t)^2)-2cos(t)sin(t) = 0
t=0, t=π/2, t=π and t=3π/2
when sin(t)=0 or cos(t)=0.
This leaves us with:
which can be reduced by the substitution
to a quadratic equation equivalent to
Now that leaves you to check each point as a maximum/minimum or inflection point using second derivatives.
- Please help for my test CALculus - zack, Thursday, November 3, 2016 at 3:23pm
vai toma no cu
- Please help for my test CALculus - pirocudo kid bengala, Thursday, November 3, 2016 at 3:24pm
vai te fude caralho nao fode nao vai estudar nao tem essa de ficar pedindo ajuda pr aprova na net ta xapada de nescau caraio
- Please help for my test CALculus - pirocudo kid bengala, Thursday, November 3, 2016 at 3:26pm
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- cal3 - Using the chain rule, find the min and max points and their values of the...
- calculus - find max, min and saddle points of the give function f(x,y)=sin(x)+...
- Calculus - Find f'(x) if f(x)=sin^3(4x) A. 4cos^3(4x) B. 3sin^2(4x)cos(4x) C. ...
- Calculus - I have y = sin^2(3^(x)) which I rewrite as y = (sin(3^(x)))^2 I got ...
- Calculus - Find any absolute max/min and local max/min for the function f(x)=x^3...
- math - can some one please help me with the following questions as i don't ...
- calculus - Could someone check my reasoning? thanx Find the derivative of the ...
- Please check my Calculus - 1. Which of the following describes the behavior of f...
- Please check my Calculus - 1. Find all points of inflection: f(x)=1/12x^4-2x^2+...
- Math - Find the critical points and the interval on which the given function is ...