Posted by Libuse on Sunday, February 26, 2012 at 8:41pm.
An airplane flying with the wind can cover a certain distance in a = 3 hours. The return trip against the wind takes b = 4.5 hours. How fast is the plane and what is the speed of the wind, if the one-way distance is c = 720 miles?
algebra - Reiny, Sunday, February 26, 2012 at 8:53pm
speed of plane in no wind --- x mph
speed of wind ---- y mph
time with the wind = 720/(x+y) = 3
3x + 3y = 720
x + y = 240
time against the wind = 720/(x-y) = 4
4x - 4y = 720
x-y = 180
add the two simplified equations:
2x = 420
x = 210
back in x+y=240
210 + y = 240
y = 30
the plane has a speed of 210 mph, and the wind was 30 mph
algebra - Libuse, Sunday, February 26, 2012 at 8:57pm
You are smart! Thanks!
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- algebra - A man flies a small airplane from Fargo to Bismarck, North Dakota --- ...
- Algebra - A plane is traveling at a speed of 160 mph in still air. Flying with a...
- Math - Flying to the wind, an airplane takes 4 hours to go 960 km. The same ...
- algebra - An airplane takes off from an airport and takes 6.5 hours to fly west...
- Algebra 1 - An airplane travels for seven hours with a 60 mph tailwind on the ...
- Algebra - An airplane flies 3024 miles into the wind for 14 hours. The return ...
- Algebra 2 - Worldwide Airlines flies from Lakeside to Whichitfalls in 4 hours ...
- Math - An airplane flying at a speed of about 100 mph was once overtaken and ...
- algebra II - An aircraft flew 6 hours with the wind. The return trip took 7 ...
- 8th Algebra - 1) An airplane took 2 hours to fly 600 km against a head wind. The...