Posted by n on Friday, February 24, 2012 at 11:19am.
what is the process for solving the following question?
John is 72 inches tall and casts a 40 inch shadow.
A monument casts a 24 foot shadow. How tall is the monument?
math - Damon, Friday, February 24, 2012 at 11:23am
h = 24 (72/40) feet
math - Ms. Sue, Friday, February 24, 2012 at 11:23am
Change the inches to feet.
72 inches = 6 feet
40 inches = 3.333 feet
Set up a proportion and cross multiply.
6/3.333 = x/24
math - n, Friday, February 24, 2012 at 11:24am
Thank you so much!
math - Damon, Friday, February 24, 2012 at 11:32am
72/40 = 6/3.3333....
math - Damon, Friday, February 24, 2012 at 11:35am
Ratio of height to shadow length could be in shoelace lengths as long as the same shoelace is used top and bottom.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- math - mr.hemley stands next to the Illionis centennial monument at logan square...
- Math - Mr. Hemley stands next to the Illinois Centennial Monument at Logan ...
- Algebra - a boy 4 ft tall casts a shadow 6 ft long. he stands next to a monument...
- Math - A 40ft tall monument casts a shadow that just reaches the base of a 4ft ...
- math - The Washington Monument is the tallest structure in Washington D.C. At ...
- Math - Matt who stands at 68 inches tall casts an 8 foot shadow at the same time...
- Math - if a flagpole is 20ft tall and casts a shadow of 27ft how tall is a ...
- word problems - miguel is 5ft 10 inches tall On a sunny day he casts a shadow of...
- Geometry - mary is 5ft 9 inches tall. she casts a 2 ft shadow. the tree casts a ...
- math - at a certain time of day a 5 foot 11 inch woman casts a 3 foot 11 inch ...