Posted by sushma on Thursday, February 23, 2012 at 9:03am.
the radius of a circle is 8cm and the length of one of its chords is 12cm. find the distance of the chord from the centre
maths - MathMate, Thursday, February 23, 2012 at 10:00am
If you join the centre of the circle with each end of the chord, you have an isosceles triangle with equal legs of 8cm and base 12cm.
The altitude h(distance of centre from chord) cuts the triangle into two right triangles with half base = 6, and hypotenuse 8.
Using Pythagoras theorem,
maths - Anonymous, Sunday, June 5, 2016 at 11:32am
I CANT PLS HELP ME
maths - Rohan, Wednesday, February 22, 2017 at 10:30am
using Pythagoras theorem
half of chord from center = 12/2 = 6 cm.
8square= x square + 6 square
64 = x+36
x square = 64-36
x square = 28
x = 5.291 cm
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Maths - The radius of a circle is 8cm, and the length of one of its chords is ...
- Math - There are two chords AB and AC in a circle.[AB]=10cm, [CD]=8cm and the ...
- Maths - AB is a chord with centre O and radius 4 cm. AB is of length 4 cm and ...
- MATH - LENGTH OF A CHORD IS 8CM,RADIUS IS 5CM CALCULATE THE DISTANCE OF THE ...
- important maths ques - AB and CD are two parallel chords of a circle such that ...
- maths - the radius of a circle is 13cm and its one of its chord is 10cm. find ...
- Maths - The length of a chord of a circle of radius 10 cm is 12 cm. Some the ...
- maths - A chord subtends an angle of 68 degree at the centre of a circle of ...
- math - The equation of a circle with centre O(0,0) is x^2+y^2=40. The points A(-...
- math - ) A chord AB of length 13cm is drawn in a circle centre O at a distance ...