Posted by micheal on Wednesday, February 22, 2012 at 8:39pm.
A commuter airplane starts from an airport and takes the route shown in the figure below. The plane first flies to city A located 175 km away in a direction 30.0° north of east. Next, it flies for 150 km 20.0° west of north to city B. Finally, the plane flies 190 km due west, to city C. Find the location of city C relative to the location of the starting point.
physics - Glory Rose Manatad, Sunday, July 29, 2012 at 1:50am
You can just use basic Trig a few times.
First, find x1 and y1 (I’m defining these as the x and y components of the first triangle, the one where a is the hypotenuse. I drew them in green in the diagram above).
x1 = 175*cos(30)
y1 = 175*sin(30)
You can do the same thing for the next triangle, where 150 is the hypotenuse. I’ll call the components x2 and y2. (This triangle is orange.)
x2 = 150*sin(20)
(Note that because of the orientation of this triangle, you have the rare case where the horizontal component is sine, and the vertical component is cosine.)
Now I’m going to define a new point, let’s call it Z. This is the point between C and B where the line crosses the y-axis. If you want to find CO, you first need to find CZ and ZO. You now have everything to do this.
CZ = 190 – (x1-x2) [draw some dotted lines across the triangles to see why this is]
CZ = 190 – (175*cos(30) – 150*sin(20))
CZ = 89.75
OZ = y1 + y2
OZ = 175*sin(30) + 150*cos(20)
OZ = 228.45
Now you can find CO by using Pythagorean Theorem.
CO^2 = CZ^2 + OZ^2
CO^2 = 89.75^2 + 228.45^2
CO = 245
Lastly, you need to find the angle. You just use Trig to do this.
So the new position is 245 km away, 21.5 degrees West of North.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Physics - A commuter airplane starts from an airport and takes the route shown ...
- science - a commuter plane starts from an airport and takes the route whereby it...
- Math - A plane flies due east for 120 km from airport a to airport b it then ...
- Physicis - Airplane staring from airport a flies 300 km east then 395 km 26.5 ...
- ALGEBRA 2 - A plane takes off from an aiport and flies east at a speed of 350 mi...
- physics - A regional airline flight consists of two legs with an intermediate ...
- Algebra - A plane takes off from an airport and flies east at a speed of 350 mph...
- physics - A plane flies from base camp to Lake A, 220 km away in the direction ...
- physics vectors - A plane flies from base camp to Lake A, 260 km away in the ...
- physics - A plane flies from base camp to Lake A, 260 km away in the direction ...