Posted by elvis on Saturday, February 18, 2012 at 9:19pm.
The units of a rate constant for zero, first and second order reactions are given in the textbook. If the time units are minutes, what would you expect the units to be for a third order reaction?
a. 1/min3 b. mol2/L2-min c. L/mol-min2 d. L2/mol2-min e. L2/mol2-min2
chemistry - DrBob222, Friday, February 17, 2012 at 10:25pm
zero order is rate = k so units are M/s or moles/l*s
1st order is rate = k*(A)
k = rate/(A) = moles/L*ws/(moles/L) = 1/s or s^-1.
Here is a site that will give you the units of zero, 1st, 2nd, and a formula for calculating any order units for k. Just scroll to that part of the site.
- chemistry - DrBob222, Saturday, February 18, 2012 at 10:00pm
You shouldn't guess. You should KNOW. Either I forgot to give you the link that I said I gave you or you didn't look at it. Anyway, here is the link. C-mon. Figure it out.
rate = k(A)^3
k = rate/(A)^3
rate has units of M/min (in this problem) and (A) has units of M so
k = M/min divided by M.
M = moles L. Now the units are k are ??
- chemistry - Rick, Sunday, February 19, 2012 at 1:28pm
I get L^2/mol^2 -min. Is that correct?
- chemistry - DrBob222, Sunday, February 19, 2012 at 2:07pm
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- chemistry - The units of a rate constant for zero, first and second order ...
- Chemistry(Please check) - The units of a rate constant for zero, first, and ...
- chemistry - x + 2y ---> products is first order in c and 2nd order in y. what...
- Chemistry-Dr.Bob 222 - 1. The rate constant for a second order reaction has ...
- Calculus - In a right triangle, the hypotenuse is of fixed length of 15 units, ...
- chemistry - Determine the overall orders of the reactions to which the following...
- physics - What are the magnitude and direction of the particle’s acceleration? ...
- chemistry - The National Institute of Science and Technology (NIST) kinetics ...
- Math problem - -A clock is divided equally into 60 units. Each unit forms an ...
- Chemistry - The units for a first order rate constant are: M/s 1/M*s 1/s 1/M^2*s