Posted by Rose Bud on Thursday, February 16, 2012 at 1:06am.
A 65.0 g sample of 0.600 M HI at 18.46 degrees celsius is added to 84.0 g of solution containing excess KOH, also at 18.46 degrees celsius. The final temperature is 21.96 degrees celsius. Calculate the enthalpy of H for the reaction.
Assume the specific heat of the solution is 4.184 J/g(degrees celsius), and the calorimeter has negligible heat capacity .
HI(aq) + KOH(aq) --> KI(aq) + H2O(l)
enthalpy of H ?
- Chemistry-Thermochemistry (grade 12) - DrBob222, Thursday, February 16, 2012 at 1:36am
You have 65.0 g soln from HI and 84.0 g H2O with the KOH so total mass soln is 149 g.
q = mass H2O x specific heat water x (delta T).
USUALLY delta H for a reaction is done in kJ/mol. This problem has no easy way to get to moles but q/mol = J/mol and you can convert that to kJ/mol if needed. If you assume the density of the HI solution is 1.00 g/mL, that can be used to solve for mols HI; e.g., 65 mL of 0.600 M HI would be moles = M x L = 0.600 x 0.065 = ? and you can use that for mols. I doubt that the density is 1. g/mL.
- Chemistry-Thermochemistry (grade 12) - Rose Bud, Thursday, February 16, 2012 at 2:00am
I am defiantly starting to understand this stuff better.
.065L x (.600 mol/L) = 0.0390 mol
= 149g x 4.184 J/g(C) x 3.5 celsius
= 2181.9 J
Then I did
2.2 kJ / 0.0390 mol
= 56 kJ/mol
for my final answer I got 56 kJ/mol
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- Chemistry - A 5.0-g Sample of KBr at 25.0 degrees celsius dissolves in 25.0 ...
- chemistry - a 2.00g sample of zinc metal is added to a calorimeter containing ...
- Chemistry - A 100g sample of water at 90 degrees celsius is added to a 100g ...
- Chemistry - A 5.0g KBr sample, at 25 degrees celsius, dissolved in 25 ml of ...
- Chemistry - A 5.0-g Sample of KBr at 25.0 degrees celsius dissolves 25.0 mL of ...
- Chemistry - A 50g sample of metal was heated to 100 degrees Celsius and then ...
- Physics 20 - 1. How much heat energy is required to change 500 grams of water at...
- Chemistry - When 22.7mL of o.500 M H2SO4 is added to 22.7mL of 1.00 M KOH in a ...
- Chemistry - When 100 mL of Ba(NO3)2 solution at 25 degrees Celsius is mixed with...
- Physics - Please Help! I am having difficulties grasping these concepts. Explain...