Posted by Rose Bud on Wednesday, February 15, 2012 at 11:12pm.
determine the final temperature if 45.67 kJ of heat energy is removed from 18.5 g of H2O (g) at 122 degrees Celsius
sp. heat H2O (s) = 2.03 J/g(degree C)
sp heat H2O (l) = 4.18 J/g(degree C)
Sp heat H2O (g) = 2.01 J/g(degree C)
enthalpy H Fus = 334 J/g
enthalpy H vap = 2260 J/g
- Chemistry-Thermochemistry (grade 12) - DrBob222, Thursday, February 16, 2012 at 12:29am
I would do this in steps.
First, heat released in cooling from 122 to 100.
q = mass x specific heat steam x (deltaT)
q = 18.5 x 2.01 x 22= about 818 approximately. You should confirm ALL of these numbers.
q = heat released on condensing the steam.
q = mass x heat vap = 18.5 x 2260 = about 42000,
42000 + 818 = about 43,000 J.
That's close to what you have at 45,670 J. The difference is 45,670-43000 = about 3,000 (again, redo these numbers)
-3000 = mass H2O x specific heat liquid water x (Tfinal-Tinitial) and solve for Tfinal.
- Chemistry-Thermochemistry (grade 12) - Rose Bud, Thursday, February 16, 2012 at 1:01am
for my final temperature I got around
83.1 degrees celsius
- Chemistry-Thermochemistry (grade 12) - Neva, Tuesday, April 3, 2012 at 10:38pm
How did you know that the temperature dropped down to 100 degrees C? I have the same exact problem, except the heat is being added, not taken away. And the initial temperature is 73.5 degrees C.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Chemistry-Thermochemistry (grade 12) - A 65.0 g sample of 0.600 M HI at 18.46 ...
- Thermochemistry - A sample of liquid mercury (mass 58 g and temperature 149.0 C...
- Chemistry - A 14.0-g sample of ice at -18.0°C is mixed with 122.0 g of water at ...
- Science - 1. How much heat energy is lost by 3 kg of water when it cools from 80...
- chem - topic: thermochemistry i'm not really sure how to go about his question. ...
- chemistry - Two 20.0 g ice cubes at -16.0 C are placed into 285 g of water at 25...
- Chemistry - The specific heat of solid silver is 0.237 J/g degrees celsius and ...
- Thermochemistry - How many grams of water at 0 degrees C can be frozen into ice ...
- Thermochemistry - A constant pressure calorimeter having a heat capacity of 60.8...
- Chemistry - In lab we did thermochemistry, where we are supposed to find the ...