Posted by Adam on Wednesday, February 15, 2012 at 2:50pm.
Elemental mercury was first discovered when a mercury oxide was decomposed with heat, forming mercury metal and oxygen gas. When a 0.204-g sample of the mercury oxide is heated, 0.189 g of mercury metal remains.
a)what is mole ratio of mercury to oxygen in the sample?
would it be
0.204 g x mol Hg/200.59= 0.001
0.189 g x mol Hg/200.59= 9.422204497E^-4
am confused don't know how to solve further.
b) what will be the empirical formula for mercury oxide?
please help thnk :)
- Chemistry please help - DrBob222, Wednesday, February 15, 2012 at 3:07pm
HgO ==> Hg + O2
Remember the law of conservation of mass. The stuff on the right must add up to the stuff on the left.
Your mol Hg is correct at 0.000942
mol O2 = 0.015/32 = 0.000469
Then 0.000942/0.000469 = 2.008 which rounds to 2Hg to 1 oxygen.
- Chemistry please help - Anonymous, Wednesday, February 15, 2012 at 3:20pm
So the ratio of mercury to oxygen will be 2:1 and how can find the empirical formula please...thank you
- Chemistry please help - DrBob222, Wednesday, February 15, 2012 at 4:46pm
The ratio of Hg to O2 is 2:1.
The ratio of Hg to O(atom) is 1:1
Formula is HgO.
0.150/16 = 0.00094375
ratio is 1:1 formula HgO.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- chemistry - A 71.1 g sample of an unknown compound contains 10.1 g of hydrogen...
- chemistry - When mercury oxide is heated, it decomposes into mercury and oxygen...
- Chemistry - Joseph Priestly discovered oxygen when he heated a red powder. This ...
- Chemistry - How do I solve this problem? According to the following reaction, ...
- chem - Mercury(II) Oxide decomposes upon heating, producing elemental mercury. ...
- chemistry - A mercury mirror forms inside a test tube by the thermal ...
- chemistry - In 1774 Joseph Priestly conducted one of his most famous ...
- Inorganic chemistry - One kind of battery used in watches contains mercury(II) ...
- chemistry - One kind of battery used in watches contains mercury(II) oxide. As ...
- chemistry - The freezing point of mercury is -38.8°C, is the only metal that is ...