Posted by anonymous on Tuesday, February 14, 2012 at 9:09pm.
A playground is on the flat roof of a city school, 5.8 m above the street below (see figure). The vertical wall of the building is h = 7.30 m high, to form a 1.5-m-high railing around the playground. A ball has fallen to the street below, and a passerby returns it by launching it at an angle of θ = 53.0° above the horizontal at a point d = 24.0 m from the base of the building wall. The ball takes 2.20 s to reach a point vertically above the wall.
(a) Find the speed at which the ball was launched.
(b) Find the vertical distance by which the ball clears the wall.
(c) Find the horizontal distance from the wall to the point on the roof where the ball lands.
- math - em0chique, Tuesday, February 28, 2012 at 9:47pm
a) The horizontal component of the launch speed (Vo) is Vo cos = 0.6018 V. It travels 24 m horizontally in 2.20 s. Therefore
b)to solve for the height after t = 2.2s
y = (Vo sin 53)* t - (1/2) g t^2
= ((18.13sin53)*2.2)- 4.9(2.2^2)
y = 8.14
c) Use the same equation to solve for t when y = 5.8 m
I suggest that you graph this on your calculator to solve for t
whatever your answer is for t plug it in to this equation:
then subtract 24.0 m from your answer which will finally give u the answer for c
- math - pynhead, Saturday, January 26, 2013 at 3:25pm
C) x= V_x(t) should actually be x= V_x * (t) * (cosine(53))
that should give the the correct answer for x
Then subtract that answer from 24. That is your final answer.
- math - pynhead, Saturday, January 26, 2013 at 3:26pm
Actually, I meant subtract 24 from x. That should give you the right answer.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- college Physics - A playground is on the flat roof of a city school, 5.2 m above...
- HARD PHYSICS - A playground is on the flat roof of a city school, 5.7 m above ...
- college Physics I - A playground is on the flat roof of a city school, 5.2 m ...
- Physics - A playground is on the flat roof of a city school, 5.2 m above the ...
- College Physics - A playground is on the flat roof of a city school, 5.2 m above...
- Physics - A playground is on the flat roof of a city school, 7.00 m above the ...
- Physics for Engineers - A playground is on the flat roof of a city school, 5.2 m...
- math trigonometry - 1. Two straight roads intersect to form an angle of 75". ...
- Physics - A hammer is thrown horizontally from the flat roof of a tall building ...
- physics - We are standing at a distance d=15 m away from a house. The house wall...