Posted by anonymous on Tuesday, February 14, 2012 at 8:36pm.
A commuter airplane starts from an airport and takes the route shown in the figure below. The plane first flies to city A, located 175 km away in a direction 30.0° north of east. Next, it flies for 150 km 20.0° west of north, to city B. Finally, the plane flies 190 km due west, to city C. Find the location of city C relative to the location of the starting point.
angle ° west of north
- Physics - drwls, Tuesday, February 14, 2012 at 9:21pm
Do a vector addition. If you don't know how, you need to study harder.
- Physics - SocialistHero, Tuesday, May 14, 2013 at 12:51am
airport to A
Distance east: cos 30 = east / 175
east = 151.55 km
Distance north: sin 30 = north / 175 = 87.5 km
A to B
Distance north: cos 20 = north / 150
north = 140.95 km
Distance west: sin 20 = west / 150 = 51.3km
B to C =190km west
Distance west from airport to C=-151.55 + 51.3 + 190 = 89.75km
Distance north from airport = 87.5 + 140.95 = 228.45
Using Pythagoras theorem
h^2 = 89.75 ^ 2 + 228.95 ^ 2
h = 245.45 km
tan theta = 89.75/228.45
theta = 21.45 deg
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- physics - A commuter airplane starts from an airport and takes the route shown ...
- science - a commuter plane starts from an airport and takes the route whereby it...
- Math - A plane flies due east for 120 km from airport a to airport b it then ...
- Physicis - Airplane staring from airport a flies 300 km east then 395 km 26.5 ...
- ALGEBRA 2 - A plane takes off from an aiport and flies east at a speed of 350 mi...
- physics - A regional airline flight consists of two legs with an intermediate ...
- Algebra - A plane takes off from an airport and flies east at a speed of 350 mph...
- physics - A plane flies from base camp to Lake A, 220 km away in the direction ...
- physics vectors - A plane flies from base camp to Lake A, 260 km away in the ...
- physics - A plane flies from base camp to Lake A, 260 km away in the direction ...