Posted by Hannah on Sunday, February 12, 2012 at 11:14am.
Which aqueous solution below is expected to have the lowest freezing point? Assume 100% dissociation for ionic species.
3) 0.50m KCl
4) 1.0m sucrose
5) 0.40m Cr(NO3)3
I think that the answer is 0.30NaSO4 but I am not positive. Is this correct?
Chemistry - DrBob222, Friday, February 10, 2012 at 11:21pm
delta T = i*Kf*m
You want the largest delta T (which will give the lowest freezing point).
Kf is constant so we can forget that. The two that matter are i and m
So multily i*m for the 5 and the largest number wins. Remember i is the van't Hoff factor which is the number of particles produced when the materials are placed in solution. sucrose is l. KCl is 2, etc.
Chemistry - Hannah, Saturday, February 11, 2012 at 12:22am
I understand everything except the van't Hoff factor part. I do not understand how you figure that out.
Chemistry - DrBob222, Saturday, February 11, 2012 at 12:44am
That how the material ionizes.
KCl ==> K^+ + Cl^- and i = 2
MgCl2 ==> Mg&2+ + 2Cl^- and i = 3
Na2SO4 == 2Na^+ + SO4^2- and i = 3
Cr(SO4)3 ==> Cr^3+ + 3SO4^2- and i = 4
Sugar doesn't ionize so it is just 1 particle
Sugar ==> sugar(aq) and i = 1
Chemistry - Hannah, Saturday, February 11, 2012 at 10:02am
Ok so then I just have to find the mass of each solution
so KCl = 74.55 X 2
MgBr2 = 184.11 X 3
Na2SO4 = 94.05 X 3
Cr(SO4)3 = 340.21 X 4
So Cr(SO4)3 would have the largest delta T, so the lowest freezing point.
Is this correct?
Chemistry - DrBob222, Saturday, February 11, 2012 at 3:01pm
Why do you need the molar mass?
delta T = i*Kf*m
You know i from my previous response and you know m from the problem. i*m that gives the largest number will be the one that gives the largest delta T.
Chemistry - Hananh, Saturday, February 11, 2012 at 10:46pm
Ok so do you mean 0.25MgBr2 X 3 = 0.75 ?
So I think that 0.40m Cr(NO3)3 has the largest delta T. Would you agree?
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Chemistry - Which aqueous solution below is expected to have the lowest freezing...
- Chemistry - If all ionic substances completely ionized, the aqueous solution ...
- chemistry - calculate the freezing point of an aqueous solution containing 10.50...
- Chemistry - Assuming that each system behaves ideally, which solution (.25m KCl...
- chemistry - which of the following would be expected to have the lowest freezing...
- Chemistry - Calculate the boiling points of freezing points of the following ...
- Chemistry - Which solution will have the lowest freezing point? 0.25 molal ...
- chemistry - I have the answers, I am just interested in the formulas so that I ...
- chemistry - The freezing point of a 0.010 m aqueous solution of a nonvolatile ...
- chemistry, freezing point depression - Hey guys I did a lab and I have to answer...