Posted by krystal on Saturday, February 11, 2012 at 3:02pm.
Magnesium reacts with iron(II) chloride according to the equation
Mg(s) + FeCl2(aq) → MgCl2(aq) + Fe(s)
a. Is magnesium oxidized or is it reduced?
Magnesium is reduced.
b. Is iron(II) ion oxidized or is it reduced?
Iron(II) ion is oxidized .
c. What is the oxidizing agent?
d. What is the reducing agent?
chemistry - DrBob222, Saturday, February 11, 2012 at 3:10pm
All of your answers should be reversed.
Oxidation is the loss of electrons.
Reduction is the gain of electrons.
The substance oxidized is the reducing agent.
The substance reduced is the oxidizing agent.
Mg goes from zero oxidation state on the left to +2 on the right. That is a loss of two electrons; therefore, it is oxidized. That makes it the reducing agent.
Fe goes from +2 on the left to zero on the right; that is a gain of electrons. That makes it reduced and Fe^2+ is the oxidizing agent.
Chemistry - YoYo, Tuesday, January 31, 2017 at 4:58pm
In this reaction Fe is reduced (gain of electrons/ loss of oxygen) and Mg is oxidised (loss of electrons/ gain of oxygen)
This is for Magnesium reacting with Iron II, and not Iron III.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- chemisty - Consider the following unbalanced equation between copper(I) ions and...
- Chemistry 1300 - 1) Aluminum metal reacts with chlorine gas to form solid ...
- Chemistry - Write an equation (chemical or ionic) and use oxidation numbers to ...
- chemistry - A 1.362 g sample of an iron ore that contained Fe_3O_4 was dissolved...
- college - A 1.362 g sample of an iron ore that contained Fe_3O_4 was dissolved ...
- chemistry - Write a balanced chemical equation for the reaction of solid ...
- Chemistry - Which of the following is true concerning the reaction below? H2S + ...
- Grade. 12 Chem - Please check my answer! - Determine whether the following are ...
- chemistry - write the formula for and indicate the charge on each of the ...
- Chemistry - For two questions below, first write and balance the equation for ...