Posted by Lauren on Friday, February 10, 2012 at 12:58am.
Consider an ideal gas encloesd in a 1.00 L container at an internal pressure of 10.0 atm. Calculate the work, w, if the gas expands against a constant external pressure of 1.00 atm to a final volume of 20.0 L.
w = ____ J
now calculate the work done if this process is carried out in two steps.
1] first let, the gas expand against a constant external pressure of 5.00 atm to a volume of 4.00 L.
2] From there, let the gas expand to 20.0 L against a constant external pressure of 1.00 atm.
w = _____ J
i know that the formula to solve this is w=-(p)(Delta V) but when they give you 2 pressures does that mean the formula turns to w=-(delta p)(delta v)?
Chemistry - DrBob222, Friday, February 10, 2012 at 1:44am
-Pdelta V = -1 atm x (v2-v1) = -1(20-1) = -19 L*atm work.
The first one is -5 x (4-1) = -15 L*atm
Second stage is -1 x (20-4) = -16 L*atm
Total = -31 L*atm
Here is a good site you can read; in fact there is an example problem that is ALMOST the same as this one.
(Broken Link Removed)
Chemistry - Lauren, Friday, February 10, 2012 at 2:51am
Thank you Dr. Bob! That was very helpful
Chemistry - DrBob222, Friday, November 29, 2013 at 4:17pm
No prob. I always help sexy ladies ~
Chemistry - Long D, Friday, January 22, 2016 at 12:55am
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Chemistry - Consider an ideal gas encloesd in a 1.00 L container at an internal ...
- Chemistry - 1) 0.19 litre of an ideal monatomic gas (Cv,m = 3R/2) initially at ...
- chemistry - ideal gas .450 mole initial pressure 16 atm and 290 K expands ...
- Physical Chemistry - Calculate the work, w, (in J) when 0.6 litre of an ideal ...
- physics - Initially 1.200 mol of an ideal gas in a container occupies a volume ...
- Physics - Initially 1.200 mol of an ideal gas in a container occupies a volume ...
- ap chemistry - A sample of gas in a cylinder of volume 4.2 L at 316 K and 2.68 ...
- chemistry - An ideal gas is allowed to expand isothermally from 2.00 L at 5.00 ...
- Chemistry - You have 1L of an ideal gas at 0 degree celsius and 10 atm pressure...
- ap chemistry - 1.95 mol of an ideal gas at 300 K and 3.00 atm expands from 16 L ...