Posted by aa on Thursday, February 9, 2012 at 6:05am.
which will reach the bottom first, a hallow cylider or a solid cylider wth the same mass in an inclined plane?
- physics - Elena, Thursday, February 9, 2012 at 6:33am
For each cylinder
For hallow cylinder the moment of inertia is I=mR^2, and for solid cylinder I=(mR^2)/2.
Therefore, the velocities at the bottom are
- for hallow cylinder v=sqroot(gh),
- for solid cylinder v=sqroot(1.33gh).
The solid cylinder will be first.
- physics - drwls, Thursday, February 9, 2012 at 6:44am
A solid cylinder rolls faster, because a smaller fraction of the available potential energy gets converted to rotational kinetic energy. That leaves more energy available for forward motion.
This is true even if the masses and radii are different.
For a solid cylinder that has rolled doownhill a vertical distance H,
M g H = (M/2)V^2 + (1/2) I w^2
= (M/2)V^2 + (1/2)(M*R^2/2)(V/R)^2
= (M/2)V^2 + (M/4)V^2
V^2 = (4/3) g H
For a hollow thin-walled cylinder,
M g H = (M/2) V^2 + (M/2)V^2 = M V^2
V^2 = g H
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- Physics - A ball rolling on an inclined plane dors so with constant acceleration...
- physics - a ball rolling on oa inclined plane dors so with constant acceleration...
- Physics - A spring with a spring constant of 531 N/m is used to propel a 0.363-...
- Physics - A wooden block of mass m = 2.3 kg starts from rest on an inclined ...
- physics - A solid sphere rolls up an inclined plane of inclination angle 35 ...
- Physics - Kinematics - Qn: Ball 1 is launched up an inclined plane from the ...
- physics work and newton - A 2.0 kg object starts from rest from the top of an ...
- Physics - A hollow, thin-walled cylinder and a solid sphere start from rest and ...
- physics - Consider two frictionless inclined planes with the same vertical ...
- Physics 203 - A hollow, thin-walled cylinder and a solid sphere start from rest ...