Posted by ann on Tuesday, February 7, 2012 at 2:33am.
please check answers and change if wrong thank you.
The absolute value of 3 times a number x is greater than 33.
|3x| > 33
3x > 33
x > 11
what about -11
algebra - Anonymous, Tuesday, February 7, 2012 at 5:40am
|x| = x if x>=0
So, your answer of 11 correctly solves
3x > 33
But, |x| = -x if x < 0
so, the other condition is
-3x > 33
x < -11
So, if x is farther than 11 units from 0, in either direction, 3x is farther than 33 units away from 0.
algebra - ann, Tuesday, February 7, 2012 at 4:30pm
thank you very much for your help, anonymous. thanks ann
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Algebra - Solve and graph on a number line: -3 times the absolute value of 2x + ...
- calculus - Let M=1000. Which of the conditions is equivalent to f(x)= 1/((4x-12...
- algebra 1 - a number and its absolute value are equal.if you substract 2 from ...
- Algrebra II-please check my answer - Determine the zeros of the function 7x^2 + ...
- math - i can figure this out -2+|-5+6| i try inverse but im still getting it ...
- algebra - Write two numbers so that: -The first number is less than the second ...
- math, help - For the following set, which number has the largest absolute value...
- Math-Algebra-Please check - What is the solution of 3 times the absolute value ...
- Math - If the absolute value of a negative number is 2.78, what is the distance ...
- math - A number X is 3 times greater than the number Y, and Y is 3 times greater...