Posted by MJ on Monday, February 6, 2012 at 7:45am.
: If Bobby fives Jane three pens, they have the same number of pens. But if Jane gives Bobby three pens,he will have three times as many pens. How many pens does each student have?
- algebra - Reiny, Monday, February 6, 2012 at 9:23am
number of pens for Bob --- x
number of pens for Jane --- y
case1: Bob gives 3 pens to Jane
Bob has x-3
Jane has y+3
so x-3 = y+3
x-y = 6
case2: Jane gives 3 pens
Bob has x+3
Jane has y-3
x+3 = 3(y-3)
x+3 = 3y - 9
x - 3y = -12
subtract the two equations
2y = 18
y = 9
sub into 1st equation:
x-9 = 6
x = 15
Bob now has 15 and Jane has 9
after 1st transfer, bob has 12 and Jane has 12, good!
afer 2nd transfer, Bob has 18 and Jane has 6
does he have 3 times what she has? YES!
all is good!
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- math - a number of teachers were to receive 6 pens each ,but needed 4 more pens ...
- algebra - A pet boarding facility wants to build two adjacent pens of equal size...
- Math - Jane has a set of green, black and yellow pens. The green pens make up 1/...
- algebra - A college bookstore ordered six boxes of red pens. The store sold 37 ...
- math - A salesperson bought a caase of pens.On Monday, he sold 1/2 of the pens....
- pre algebra - A college bookstore ordered 6 boxes of red pens. The store sold 32...
- advanced algebra - Jennifer figures that she uses 2 pens per month. She started ...
- math - A college bookstore ordered six boxes of red pens. The store sold 32 red ...
- math,(fraction) - Mr Lim put some red pens and blue pens into a box.The ratio of...
- math - Ms.Franco has many pens.1/3 of her pens are blue.1/2 of her pens are ...