Posted by lee on Sunday, February 5, 2012 at 8:10pm.
I want to write sentences about asking people questions. The questions have to do with the future, so in some sense I guess they are hypothetical. I want to know if that means that I use the (imperfect) subjunctive as hypotheticals--I think so, but I want to make sure.
For example: I asked her if she would like to have a job by next year.
Le pregunté si quisiera tener un trabajo para el año que viene.
I asked her if the rate of pay would be important.
Le pregunté si el sueldo le importara.
Am I on the right track?
spanish - Ms. Sue, Sunday, February 5, 2012 at 8:13pm
I'll email this to SraJMcGin.
spanish - SraJMcGin, Sunday, February 5, 2012 at 11:46pm
The instructions are what exactly? If it says to use the FUTURE, that's one thing. Is there a model or example for you to follow? What you write is fine for the Imperfect Subjunctive (either -ra or -se form) but I'm not sure that that is what you are to do without seeing the EXACT instructions.
spanish - lee, Monday, February 6, 2012 at 7:22am
Thank you--I am sorry for the confusion! Actually the assignment is a bit confusing as to what the end product should be. I am to summarize an actual conversation. I interviewed a friend about her plans for after she finishes school this May. Then I need to write it up but in the third person (or indirect speech)--so that I am not writing her direct quotes. Unfortunately, there is no model :( . . . that would have helped a lot.
spanish - SraJMcGin, Monday, February 6, 2012 at 10:39am
In that case, you seem to be on the right track because you will begin in the past tense = I asked/did ask her if...and the Imperfect Subjunctive IS the most polite.
spanish - lee, Monday, February 6, 2012 at 2:59pm
¡Gracias, Senora! Usted siempre es tan amable en ayudarnos.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Spanish Homework - Hi! Can someone help check these for me? Thanks a bunch! :) ...
- Spanish for Whitney - In case you don't go back to your other post, I don't want...
- Spanish - I have to write sentences with subjunctive verbs in them, and I'm ...
- Cultural Deversity - What information about race and ethnicity in the United ...
- Spanish - I need to write sentences but i'm stuck on some words that I have not ...
- Spanish - For my Spanish class I need to memorize a poem in Spanish that uses ...
- Spanish 2 Present Subjunctive - Please check my answers. I know I'm missing ...
- English - 1. What's your future job? I want to be an architect. My future job is...
- Criminology/Sociology - My instructor wants me to prepare 15 questions to use to...
- I have some questions - Hello, My name is Chandra Mukhi. I am a girl. I am new ...