posted by cami on .
Hello, I am doing grammar and I was wondering if you could correct my homework. Thanks.
In each of the following sentences, identify each italicized phrase as prepositional, participial, gerund, infinitive, or appositive.
1. Now I would like to tell you about my sister Alexandra.
- to tell you about my sister Alexandra = infinitive
2. She likes arriving at school early.
- arriving at school early = participial
3. By doing so, she can spend extra time preparing for her day.
- doing so = gerund
4. She will resort to anything to get to school early, including waking me up, too.
- to school = prepositional
5. For example, when the beeping of my alarm woke me yesterday, the sky was as dark as night.
- the beeping of my alarm = gerund
6. I soon realized that Alexandra, a volunteer crossing guard at school, had adjusted the alarm.
- a volunteer crossing guard at school = appositive
7. I was, I could see, an occasion for applying my special technique.
- applying my special technique = gerund
8. Called my slow-motion technique, it always achieves the result I want.
- Called my slow-motion technique = participial
9. I moved around the house as if I were underwater; Alexandra watched until she could stand it no longer.
- around the house = prepositional
10. Then, I moved faster; I certainly did not want to be late for school.
- to be late for school = infinitive
All are fine.
I need to identify the prepositional phrases in the following sentences; then state whether the prepositional phrase is an adjective phrase or an adverb phrase:
1. A daily newspaper has something for almost everyone.
2.I addition to news, the paper offers entertainment, classified ads, and much more.
3. Our entire family reads the newspaper in the morning.
4. Dad always begins with the sport pages; Mom prefers the general news.
5. My sister favorite's part of the newspaper is the lifestyle section.
6. She enjoys feature like "How -to-hints".
7. I find the editorial and opinion pages interesting, specially when a debate between two sides developer.
8. Sometimes I see the logic behind an argument.
9. Other times I wonder why grown people argue about a trivial issue.
10. I also like to read news about local events.