Posted by Jugrnot on Monday, January 30, 2012 at 3:26pm.
A person purchased a 225463 home 10 years ago by paying 10% down and sighning a 30 year mortgage at 8.7% compounded monthly. Interest rates have dropped and the owner wants to refinance the unpaid balance by signing a new 20 year mortgage at 4.2% compounded monthly. How much interest will refinancing save?
I have been on this for a couple hours and believe I am only off by a fraction and that is why my digital homework is still saying it is correct. Instead of copying 4 pages of home work and math I will post my large findings in hopes someone can see where I messed up.
Monthly payment of original 30yr mortgage = 1589.11
Total interest to be paid on original 30 yr mortgage = 369161.35
Unpaid balance of original loan after 10 years = 180472.95
Total interet paid during 1st ten years on original 30yr mortgage = 168248.93
New monthly payment for 15 yr mortgage = 1436.59
Total interest to be paid on new 15 year mortgage = 78113.25
And this answer was wrong???? Standing back from the numbers they all look about right using common sense but online homework thing says its wrong? Any help would be much appreciated
- MATH (REFINANCE MORTGAGE) - Reiny, Monday, January 30, 2012 at 4:02pm
Your original payment is correct, I got the same.
Amount owing after 10 years
= 202916.70(1.00725)^120 - 1589.11(1.00725^120 - 1)/.00725
= 180472.95 YEAHH, you had that
new plan: 20 years at .042
i = .042/12 = .0035
WHY ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT A 15 YR MORTGAGE?
Should be 20 years
180472.95 = p (1 - 1.0035^-240)/.0035
p = 1112.74
Think I found your error, take it from here.
- MATH (REFINANCE MORTGAGE) - Phil Rewa, Monday, January 30, 2012 at 5:41pm
SHOOT THE ORIFINAL QUESTION IS TO COMPARE A 15 YEAR MORTGAGE AT 5.1% NOT THE 20 YR AT 4.2%. PLEASE TAKE ANOTHER LOOK IF YOU CAN:)
- MATH (REFINANCE MORTGAGE) - Reiny, Monday, January 30, 2012 at 6:06pm
Ok , I found the new monthly payment for the 15 year, at 5.1% and also got 1436.59
The interest on the original plan would have been
360(1589.11) - 202916.70 = 369161.35
which you got
interest with new plan
= 120(1589.11) + 180(1436.59) - 202916.70
= 190692.68 + 258586.20 - 202916.70
difference in interest paid
= 369161.35 - 246362.18
- MATH (REFINANCE MORTGAGE) - Phil Rewa, Monday, January 30, 2012 at 6:17pm
so your getting the same thing? huh
- MATH (REFINANCE MORTGAGE) - Reiny, Monday, January 30, 2012 at 6:24pm
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- Math Refinancing Question - A person purchased a $205,107 home 10 years ago by ...
- REFINANCE MATH PROBLEM - I screwed up the first post with this question so re ...
- math - A person purchased a $204,815 home 10 years ago by paying 10% down and ...
- accounting - You have just purchased a house and have obtained a 30-year, $200,...
- math - A person purchased a $250000 home 5 years ago. he paid 20% down and ...
- Urgent math - A couple needs a mortgage of $300,000. Their mortgage broker ...
- accounting - House mortgage You have just purchased a house and have obtained a...
- math - A lender gives you a choice between the following two 30-year mortgages ...
- please help urgent - A couple needs a mortgage of $300,000. Their mortgage ...
- College Algebra and Finance - Please help! Just need the answer... A lender ...