Posted by ThuyD on Monday, January 30, 2012 at 2:15pm.
Table 1: Temperature and volume data
Trial Temperature (Celsius) Volume (mL)
Starting Volume Room Temperature =
Hot Water Trial 1 107 5.6ml
Hot Water Trial 2 108.3 5.4ml
Cold Water Trial 1 lo 4.4ml
Cold Water Trial 2 lo 4.4ml
(Insert a graph that you either drew here in Word or built from Excel using the data collected in this section)
Note: On the graph, you are graphing volume on the y axis, temperature on the x axis. Use a line graph - not a bar graph. You should have a linear graph, and if all goes right, you can extrapolate back so that the x axis is crossed at 0 K or -273 C.
1. What happened to the volume of gas when the syringe was submerged in each water bath? Using the concepts discussed above, describe why this occurs, keeping in mind the definition of temperature.
The volume of gas increased when submerged in hot water. As the water temperature increased the gas within the syringe began to rise causing an increase in pressure. When the syringe was submerged in cold water the gases started to fall in pressure.
2. How do you know that pressure is held constant in your experiment?
Because, the temperature of the water was consistent for each test!
3. Using a ruler, draw a straight line of best fit through your data points, extrapolating the line until it intersects the (negative) x-axis. Why can you assume a straight line, i.e., a linear relationship?
4. At what temperature does your line intersect the x-axis? What volume corresponds to this temperature?
5. Would it be possible to cool a real gas down to zero volume? What would most likely happen first?
- Science - Anonymous, Sunday, November 11, 2012 at 5:07pm
5. Using a ruler, draw a straight line of best fit through your data points, extrapolating the line until it intersects the (negative) x-axis. Why can you assume a straight line, i.e., a linear relationship?
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- Physics - Table 1: Temperature and volume data Trial Temperature (Celsius) ...
- CHEM - The following data were collected for determining the concentration of ...
- chem - The following state were collected for determining the concentration of ...
- Chem - The following state were collected for determining the concentration of ...
- moles of water produced? - We mixed HCl and NaOH into water and got this table, ...
- Chem Lab Help - Trial #1 Trial #2 Trial #3 Mass: gelatin capsule (g) .123 .118 ....
- Chemistry - This is a lab I have, but have no clue what to do. Please do out the...
- Rate Constants - I'm really stuck with this one. Here's the rate law and the ...
- Chemistry Lab - The experimental data you entered is: Trial #1 Trial #2 Trial #...
- Chemistry - So I did a titration experiment using 0.01 M potassium permanganate...