Posted by Peter on Sunday, January 29, 2012 at 6:19pm.
1. MES (2-(N-Morpholino)ethanesulfonic acid) is a common buffer used in biochemistry labs to stabilize proteins. The pKa for MES is 6.09.
a. What is the pH of 1 liter of a 200 mM MES aqueous solution? Clue: you will need to solve a quadratic equation. (2.5 points)
b. How much solid NaOH (in grams) needs to be added to the MES solution to make a buffer at pH 6.5? (1.5 points)
- Biochemistry - DrBob222, Sunday, January 29, 2012 at 8:20pm
If we call MES just HS, then
...........HS ==> H^+ + S^-
Substitute the equilibrium values into the Ka expression and solve for x, then convert to pH.
For the second part,
you know pH = pKa + log(base/acid)
(base) = (OH) that must be added
(acid) = 0.2-(OH)
I would plug that into the HH equation, solve for base and convert that to grams. I shall be happy to critique your work if you post it.
- Biochemistry - Peter, Monday, January 30, 2012 at 2:34pm
- Biochemistry - Josephine, Tuesday, January 29, 2013 at 8:37pm
Solving for x we will get 4.028x10^-4
Plugging it in into pH equation, we will get pH of 3.39
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- Chemistry - The triation of 50.00 mL of 0.025 00 M MES with 0.100 0 M NaOH. MES ...
- French - 5 - Les vacances You are preparing a family vacation in Europe. Rewrite...
- French - Could you please check this to make sure it's right. We are supposed to...
- Biochemistry - calculate Ph occuring when 100ml of 0.10m acid is added to 500ml ...
- French - I should circle the most appropriate subject: 1) Maxime/elsa est née à ...
- French - Après ça, j’ai enseigné à mes amies tout l’information au sujet... I ...
- French - I wrote this short pen pal letter, and I need someone to check it. It ...
- Biochemistry - Describe the full preparation of 1.0L 0.2mol/L pH 4.4 acetate ...
- Biochemistry - A buffer is made at pH 7.3. 0.15 M using imidazole And 1 M ...
- French - I am posting just the CORRECTIONS! Can the corrections be put ...