Posted by Becca on Sunday, January 29, 2012 at 4:33pm.
Find the volume of the solid formed when the region bounded by y=3x^2 and y=36-x^2 is revolved about the x-axis.
- Calculus - Reiny, Sunday, January 29, 2012 at 6:04pm
I see several posts made by you dealing mainly with these integrations problems, without any indication by you showing any steps or attempts.
I will do this one. Try to follow these steps to solve the others
Make a sketchl
First you need the intersection to see the region that you are revolving.
y = 3x^2 and y = 36-x^2
3x^2 = 36-x^2
4x^2 = 36
x = ± 3
Because of the symmetry, I will boundaries from 0 to 3, then double our volume
Volume = π∫y^2 dx from left boundary to right boundary
the y , the height or radius of our rotation, is
36-x^2 - 3x^2 = 36-4x^2
V = 2π∫ (36-4x^2)^2 dx from 0 to 3
= 2π∫ (1296 - 288x^2 + 16x^4) dx from 0 to 3
= 2π [ 1296x - 96x^3 + (16/5)x^5] from 0 to 3
= 2π (3888 - 2592 + 3888/5 - 0 - 0 - 0)
= (20736/5)π = appr. 13028.8
- Calculus - Becca, Sunday, January 29, 2012 at 6:44pm
I use this to check my answers. I apologize for not realizing that I should have proven to you that I was doing them by myself at first.
- Calculus - Reiny, Sunday, January 29, 2012 at 6:57pm
In that case, you should post the answer you got, that way I can just do some fast scribbling on a piece of scrap paper and either confirm or reject your answer.
It would save us a lot of unnecessary typing of the whole solution.
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- CALCULUS - The region R is bounded by the x-axis, y-axis, x = 3 and y = 1/(sqrt(...
- CALCULUS HELP PLZ - The region R is bounded by the x-axis, y-axis, x = 3 and y...
- Calculus - This problem set is ridiculously hard. I know how to find the volume ...
- Calculus (Solid of Revolution) - The region R is bounded by the x-axis, x = 1, x...
- calculus 2 - The region bounded by y=e^(-x^2),y=0 ,x=0 ,x=1 and is revolved ...
- calculus - Let R be the region in the first quadrant bounded by the graphs of y=...
- calculus - sketch the region R bounded by the graphs of the equations, and find ...
- Calculus - Use the disk method to find the volume of the solid generated when ...
- Calculus - a) Find the volume formed by rotating the region enclosed by x = 6y ...
- Calculus - We're learning disks, shells, and cylinders in school but we have a ...