Posted by Hannah on Saturday, January 28, 2012 at 11:41pm.
1) For a series of small molecules of comparable molecular mass, which of the following choices lists the intermolecular forces in the correct increasing order?
a) dipole-dipole forces < London forces < hydrogen bonds
b) hydrogen bonds < dipole-dipole forces < London forces
c) dipole-dipole forces < hydrogen bonds < London forces
d) London forces < dipole-dipole forces < hydrogen bonds
e) hydrogen bonds < London forces < dipole-dipole forces
I chose answer A because dipole-dipole forces are weaker than london forces and london forces are weaker than hydrogen bonds.
Is this correct?
Chemistry(Please check) - DrBob222, Sunday, January 29, 2012 at 12:33am
No, London forces are the weakest. Weaker than hydrogen bonds and weaker than dipole-dipole.
Chemistry(Please check) - Hannah, Sunday, January 29, 2012 at 11:46am
O ok so it is london forces,dipole,then hydrogen?
Chemistry(Please check) - DrBob222, Sunday, January 29, 2012 at 12:13pm
That's what I would choose. Here is a good site that compares strengths. Scroll down to that part.
Chemistry(Please check) - Hannah, Sunday, January 29, 2012 at 12:38pm
ok thank you
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- chemistry - Explain how dispersion forces, dipole-dipole forces, and hydrogen ...
- Chemistry - Arrange the following intermolecular attractions in order of ...
- Chem - _____________ are a type of intermolecular force that _____________ . A. ...
- CHEMISTRY - although helium atoms do not combine to form He2 molecules is it ...
- Chemistry - Discuss the types of intermolecular forces acting in the liquid ...
- science/chemistry - Dr Bob Although helium atoms do not combine to form He2 ...
- Chemistry - The foreces of attraction between molecules of I2 are: covalent ...
- chemistry - The strongest intermolecular forces present in a sample of pure I2 ...
- chemistry - What is the strongest intermolecular force that occurs between ...
- chem - What type(s) of intermolecular force is (are) common to each of the ...