Posted by marko on Thursday, January 26, 2012 at 7:53pm.
Yolanda and Yoko ran in 100 yd dash. When Yolanda crossed the finish line, Yoko was 10 yrd behind her. The girls then repeated the race, with Yolanda starting 10 yrd behind the starting line. If each girl ran at the same rate as before, who won the race? By how many yards?
i say it would be a tie
Assuming the girls run at the same rate as before, how far behind the starting line should Yolanda be in order for the 2 to finish in a tie?
- math unit rate question - chris, Thursday, January 26, 2012 at 8:03pm
the answer to question 1 is a tie and how many yards is 0.the answer to the second question is 10 yards behind the finishing line.
- math unit rate question - marko, Thursday, January 26, 2012 at 8:05pm
so I was correct i got same answer like you
- Not so fast, grasshopper - Reiny, Thursday, January 26, 2012 at 8:56pm
let Yolanda' time to finish the 100 yds be t sec
then Yolanda's rate = 100/t yds/sec
Yoko's rate = 90/t yds/sec
Distance for Yolanda is 110 yrd
Distance for Yoko is 100 yrd
time to run for Yolanda to run 110 yrs = 110/(100/t) = 1.1 t
time for Yoko to run 100 yrs = 100/(90/t) = 1.1111..t
So when Yolanda has done her 110 yds in 1.1t seconds, Yoko would not be finished yet
So it is not a tie..!!!
let the distance Yolanda should start behind the starting line be x yds
so for the times to be the same..
(100+x)/(100/t) = 100/(90/t)
t(100+x)/100 = t(100)/90
divide by t
(100+x)/100 = 100/90
90(100+x) = 100(100)
9(100+x) = 10(100)
900 + 9x = 1000
9x = 100
x = 100/9 = 11.11111. yds
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- math - Yolanda and Yoko ran in a 100 yd dash. When Yolanda crossed the finish ...
- Math - Yolanda and Yoko ran in 100 yd dash. When Yolanda crossed the finish line...
- math urgent help!!! - I need serious help with this problem. it is making me ...
- Mathematics! - Yolanda and Yoko ran in a 100-yd dash. When Yolanda crossed the ...
- math - Perry and Barry ran an 120-meter race. When Barry crossed the finish line...
- math - Yolanda is putting up a fence for her dog in the shape of a square. Each ...
- accounting - Graham maintains that formulation and implementation are phases in...
- trig. - Jack and Jill ran a 400 meter race. Jill ran therace in 50 second and ...
- Math - Xavier and Yolanda have a combined aged of 24. 6 years ago Xavier was 3x ...
- math - when tessa and fatima run a 100 metre race,tessa wins by 10m.then they ...