Posted by Adam on Wednesday, January 25, 2012 at 6:56pm.
What was the MAIN cause of the War of 1812?
On wikipedia its saying different things and not saying which is the main
- Social Studies - Ms. Sue, Wednesday, January 25, 2012 at 6:57pm
I agree with Wikipedia -- there were many causes of this war.
What does the author of your textbook say was the main cause?
- Social Studies - Adam, Wednesday, January 25, 2012 at 7:05pm
In the paragraph it says
American ships were stopped not only by the British, but also by the French. During that time, Britain and France were at war. Neither country wanted the other to receive any supplies from the U.S.. So both interfered with the U.S. shipping.
The actions by the British particularly angered the U.S.. The British often sezied the U.S. sailors, claiming they were deserters from t he British Navy. THe British forced these sailors to work on British ships. Often, the men they seized were not British deserters at all but citizens of the U.S.. In addition, the British seized the cargoes, or goods, carried by the ships. Because of these actions by the British, trade between the U.S. and countries across the seas had stopped by 1808. This situation caused great tension between the U.S and Britain. But President Jefferson did not want the U.S. to take the side of either the French or the British in their war.
- Social Studies - Ms. Sue, Wednesday, January 25, 2012 at 7:28pm
Seizing the American sailors looks like a main cause of the war.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Social Studies - What was the main cause of the War of 1812?
- Social Studies - 1.How did their dependence on British trade affect the opinions...
- Social Studies - In what year did the War of 1812 start? 1812, right? Cause when...
- History - 1.How did their dependence on British trade affect the opinions of ...
- Ms Sue English - What are some reasons why disharmony is not the main cause of ...
- Social Studies - What were the main causes of World War 1
- Social Studies - what do archeologists study? (main things)
- social studies - what were the 3 main effects of the french and indian war
- english - Reciting includes a: verbalizing information b: saying main ideas ...
- java - I hava a Employee class and my main class. But in my netbeans it is ...